Power Supply for pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tosya, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    Right now I'm using four pedals that require power. Each one uses a wall wart so I have to use 2 power strips for everything to fit. I'd like to streamline my setup, but there are a few ways to go and I'm not sure which one would be best. I thought I'd see if you guys had any thoughts on these options:

1) A powerstrip designed to accommodate wall warts
    *same setup I have, just one fewer power strip

2) A daisy chain out of my Boss TU-2 tuner
    *needs only one plug and is more streamlined than four separate wall warts; but if one pedal goes they all go

3) Voodoo Lab Power Pedal Power 2 Power Supply
    *isolated outputs with no ground loops or noisy pedal interaction

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Amy / Clatter
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What you need is a OneSpot power adapter, similar to the Boss TU-2 with the daisy chain, however it supplies four pedals independently (with added cable) and has available adapters for all types of pedals. I use one of these and you don't even need a power strip on your board! It has a nice long cable, enough to reach up to the power conditioner on my rack and wrap around the back and under my stack! For about $35.00 you can power five pedals, adapters for EHX and other pedals are only $2.50!

* Only takes up ONE position on your outlet strip or wall outlet!!
    * Can power one pedal or a virtually unlimited number of pedals (1000mA max!) with optional Multi-Plug 5 cables.
    * Guaranteed to work with any equipment that uses one of the following adapters (over 90% of the effects pedals on the market!):
    · Boss PSA, Boss ACA, Danelectro DA-1, DOD PS-200R, Dunlop ECB-03, Ibanez AC-109, Korg A30950, Morley 9V, Zoom AD-0006.**
    * With new converter plugs, the 1 SPOT will work with virtually ANY 9V pedal! ...even Line 6 modeling pedals! **
    * Will even convert international voltage (100V-240V) automatically; no transformer needed!
    * 3 meter (10') cable is almost twice as long as other adapter cables!

Check 'em out at http://visualsound.net/1SPOTpage.html
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As Tim said, the OneSpot / Godlyke adapter is great. It comes with all sorts of convertors so it'll power EHX, DOD pedals as well as your regular Boss type. If you only need up to 9v, then one of those will do you fine. You can get them at Musicians Fiend, Zzounds etc. I've used them for over a year with no problems.

If you have the money, the Voodoo Labs is a class power supply. It'll do up to 12.2V. But if you only have four pedals and/or only need 9v then it might be a bit overkill for what you're doing.

Furman do a locking power strip for use with wallwarts
  4. Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    Wow, that looks perfect!!

The only reason I liked the sound of the Voodoo Lab was from this description:

Provides eight isolated 9V outputs which will quietly power any type of battery-operated effects without ground loops or noisy pedal interaction....

Since one of my signals goes to a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier guitar amp, I have trouble with extra noise. I was attracted to Voodoo Labs assertion that they're quiet. Also, I wonder how important it would be to isolate each pedal. I've never had a pedal malfunction, but if I did I wouldn't want it to take other pedals with it. Is this a very common occurence?
  5. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've never had it happen, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I doubt it would kill the power to everything else.

If you have a Dual Rec then you no doubt have a power conditioner (since they don't do well with bad power), just plug your pedal board into a filtered outlet on your conditioner and it shouldn't have noise problems. I know mine has a filter "always on" socket on the front of it.
  6. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    the One Spot deal is awesome...works great. And the ole 1/8" plug adapters are cheap too...so if you have any old style that need juice it's easy to add them on too.

highly recommend for the cost---since you'll save on 9volts it'll pay for itself quickly.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Another vote for the OneSpot. I am getting one this week.

8. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I bought the Godlyke from MF. It comes with a Sh&% load of adaptor plug types.
  9. Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    Well, I ended up getting the SKB pedal board and case that has the power built into it! I didn't even know such a thing existed until I walked into the store yesterday. It took care of my need for a pedal board AND solved my power problem! I'll let you know if it works like I'm hoping it will. Anyone else ever try these? I think they're brand new. Here's a photo from the SKB site:

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Another vote for the excellent One Spot.
  12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The only problem with the SKB pedalboards is that they derive their power from another wallwart, which unfortuantely has a terribly thin wire. Those things have failed on me several times. I wish they made a power cable with thick cable, perhaps straight AC.
  13. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I found the One Spot on MF and was a little skeptical. Glad to see that it's reliable.
  14. Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    OK, the pedal board is pretty cool although the power cords they supply doesn't include one to fit my Digitech Whammy pedal. :mad:

But here's my next (probably dumb) question: how the heck do you make pedals stick to velcro when they have feet?! Anybody have some suggestions? :confused:
  15. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Rip off the feet. They can be replaced.
  16. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I agree the Voodoo Labs is nice. The separate power outs are "conditioned" or separated from each other, so it is quieter if you are having buzz from multiple wall warts and powered devices connected to the same power. I do not know why. One more thing, you can get a Y adaptor from Voodoo that plugs into two 9v outputs for 18v power.

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've been using this little box for almost 10 years without a single problem.
    It's not as nifty and evoluted as the Voodoo Lab but it gets the job done and isn't too expensive.

18. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    One thing I've never understood with these, or similar pedalboards/cases like one I have from Warwick/Rockbag: why would you ever use the "effects loops" that are built into the board? What sort of convenience and/or flexibility does it provide? Any idea?
  19. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i think the idea behind the loops on effects boards is to have your signal run through ONLY the effects that you are using, so you get less tone loss, since your signal gets slightly affected each time to goes through a pedal, esp those with no true analog bypass...
  20. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    All this info is very cool and all,but I think we forgot to mention something;what about the actual connectors (from your pedal to a "power" box)? And what of those 12v adapters requiered for those "certain" wireless systems?
    Also,what is a good AC adapter that will work with ANY brand,and not just its own kind?