1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power supply problems

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Sep 30, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    First off, let me just say that getting a $150-200 power supply is out of the question. Now that that's out of the way...

Got a Zoom B2 today, and so far so good with it, except for one thing...for some reason, the 1-Spot I use won't allow me to use the Zoom and my EBS Microbass II at the same time. They both work fine with the 1-Spot, but if I plug them in on the same 1-Spot, I get a bad hiss. However, if I separate them and put the Zoom on its own PS, both work just fine. I don't think it's an issue of power with the 1-Spot because I'm only running two X2's at 100mA each, a VT at 100 mA, and the Microbass which uses only 10 mA, so that's not near the capacity of the 1-Spot.

Anyone out there know what's doing here? It's going to ruin my whole pedalboard, because I bought a 3-way extension cord, and only two PS's fit in the 3-way. I guess I could add a small extension cord for the 3rd PS, but it bums me out to have to do it, so if anyone knows what the problem is, I would really appreciate it because I want to use just one PS.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Probably a polarity issue- one pedal with reverse polarity can fubar the whole chain. A common problem with daisy chains.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Thx Bongo...all the effects have negative tips, though, and the ground lift on the Microbass didn't fix it. But just to make sure everyone understands, it's not a hum but a high pitched hiss. Could it be just a weird flukey incompatibility problem?

4. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry! I dunno Uncle Jimmy. This one sure got me boggled.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I wonder if the 10 mA EBS says the Microbass runs on is its battery needs and it has some insane AC power needs. They don't mention it in the manual, though.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It sounds like a ground loop issue to me. There aren't a lot of ways to fix these but to use separate or isolated power supplies.
    Sometimes, powering through the battery port instead of the DCin is enough to save the day. Not always though. It's easy to do with a battery plug to daisy chain adaptor.

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    OK, so what we observe appears to be line noise from one unit passing into the audio path of the other unit via the power supply common line. Maybe one of the units has an "unusual" grounding scheme internally? If I'm right then there's no easy fix other than using separate/isolated supplies. The ground lift only affects the DI out. Maybe if you're feeling electronically adventurous you could use a continuity tester to identify points shared by the power common- maybe one unit is chassis-grounded and the other is not, for example.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK, thanks guys. I guess I must extensively redesign my board.

:D

9. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I've run into this same issue when running a StroboStompII out of the MicroBass II "link" output and powering both with a single 1Spot. The same thing also occurs when using the EBS branded power supply. I picked up a second OneSpot used for $10.00, and now each unit has it's own dedicated power supply and the noise is gone. I'd say the MBII doesn't like to share a common power source with other devices that connect to the MBII.

10. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Sounds to me like you need the Virtual Battery. I started a thread about it a while back.

11. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    Jimmy - one of the gui****s in my band had the same problem when he added a power supply to his board. He went to the extent of calling the manufacturer of each of his pedals. Barber told him that even if he runs the pedal off a power supply that he needs to keep a battery in the pedal (dead or alive doesn't matter) to correct the hiss problem. He put in a dead battery and ta-da, no more hiss. Don't ask me to explain, as I'm not the brightest light in the technical chandelier, I just know it worked for him. Now, if you already have batteries still in all of your pedals, then just ignore me please...