1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power supply Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Mar 13, 2010.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I now have a three pedal board as I just got a VT Bass which will be left permanently on.:bassist:

-VT Bass
    -Korg Pitchblack
    -Boss GEB7 graphic Eq

I tried using 500mA power supply with the VT Bass (same polarity > negative and 9v) but was getting some weird results. The volume would go down and back up again on its own. Therefore the VT Bass requires a 100mA power supply. I actually have the proper Tech 21 power supply, but tried the 500mA as I didnt think it mattered that much.

My question:

I want to use a 3 in one adapter type thing so that I can power all three pedals with one wall-wart. Will it cause problems with the other pedals (boss eq & pitchblack) if I use the 100mA wallwart for all three pedals with the 3 in one adapter?

The 500mA adapter I initially used with the VT Bass is actually made by Roland and I know works fine with the Boss Eq and pitchblack. Just wondering what will be the result if I feed them 100mA rather than 500mA (off the 3 in 1 adapter).

I'd like to get this figured out before I wire them altogether.

Edit: I intitially thought the Tech 21 was 300mA but I just looked and it says 100mA so...

2. audiophile21

audiophile21

Jan 19, 2010
    Boston
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, I'd rather avoid buying anything new if I can get away with it.

The VT Bass will be on all the time, the pitchblack hardly at all, and the eq will be used regularly but not at extreme levels, just slight boost of the 50hz or some mid cut.

I have 500mA, 100mA and 200mA power supplies.

Will any of these work?

4. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I can't imagine those 3 pedals drawing much more then 100ma of current, probably they draw less. I would like to think a 100-200ma power supply would be fine for 3 pedals.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Cool. I think I'll try the 200mA and see what that does.

6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Normally a pedal only draws what it needs, so it's unlikely for a supply that can provide 500 mA to cause any harm or weird behavior. It is not putting out 500 mA all the time--that amount is just the maximum that can be drawn from it.

For example, the OneSpot is rated at something like 1000 mA, and it is fine with all of those pedals.

That said, I don't know what caused the weird behavior with the VT.

7. Don't want to derail the thread or anything but, in context, I had this bizarre problem using a 500mA supply with my Zoom B1X. It wouldn't work and some bizarre characters appeared on its display. The power supply worked fine with the other little Boss pedals I have, though.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I believe the Zoom B1X is 6V, not 9V. Make sure you used a 6V power supply.

9. Nopes its 9v.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ok. I assumed since it used 4x1.5V = 6V batteries it would also use a 6V power supply.

What is the auto-wah like on it?

11. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    The OneSpot is actually 1700 mA. I used to power three pedals with it with no issues. It happened to disappear after a multiple-bands gig :scowl: and I now use a 2000 mA Godlyke Powerall which also performs flawlessly.

12. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    There are 1000ma and 1700ma versions of the 1spot. I own both, I don't know if one is newer then the other one or not. But it is a great powersupply for the price. I run like 10 pedals off one.

13. jole

jole

Feb 10, 2010
    Syd, AU
    Quick google -

Pitchblack - 35mA max
    GEB7 - 16mA
    Bass VT - ? (If the Tech21 power supply for it is 100mA, it's going to draw less than this, but without knowing the exact figure I'd be cautious)

So with 151mA max draw, your 200mA supply covers it.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020