Power supply rating?? (Whammy)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by njones89, Mar 1, 2017.

1. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    Bought a Digitech bass whammy reissue. It's rated for 9v DC @ 1300mA. No power supply. Digitech support said I need to buy their unit for $25. I found one on Amazon with a max rating for 1300mA for $7. Would that be good enough?

2. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    The reissue doesn't need 1300 ma. I run mine off of one of the spots on my cs7 pro maybe the 200ma.

njones89 likes this.
  3. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    From the manual
    IMG_0125.PNG

4. I don't know which generation you have, but this manual says you need 265 ma minimum.

http://rdn.harmanpro.com/product_do...336/Bass_Whammy_Manual_5044688-A_original.pdf

5. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017

That should work. Assure the power supply's plug fits the wammy's jack, and the polarity is the same. There should be a illustration next to the jack showing the polarity of postitive or negative tip.

njones89 likes this.
  6. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    The one I bought is the reissue. Which I think is the 5th version. The sticker by the PS input is 9v DC @ 1300mA. Yes, the manual says <265mA. I want to buy one with the same specs as the manufacturer just to be safe. Anybody have a pic of the power supply with the ratings? Thanks.

7. The best thing to do is get the OEM one. There are design aspects beyond voltage and milliamps that affect the performance of the adapter.

8. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    It might be good to post the exact power supply you want to buy from Amazon. But sounds like it should work, assuming the input is the correct style.

The power supply needs to be the exact Voltage (9v pedal needs a 9v adapter). But the Amps doesn't matter, so long as the amps in the adapter are more than the amps the pedal needs. (If the pedal needs 257mA, you can use 500mA adapter, 1000mA adapter, 1400 mA adapter, etc) The pedal will only draw what it needs from the adapter, the extra doesn't matter. (I'm not sure what happens if the adapter is rated under the mA. Maybe the adapter overheats and ultimately fails?)

9. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Woah, 9V DC with low current draw is a major improvement over the old designs! Can you run this on a 1spot?

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    OK, I'm not picking on you here. But I'm confused. So let me get it straight.

You are detail oriented enough that you want the exact specs mandated by the manufacturer even though others have told you is doesn't draw nearly that much current. But you aren't detail oriented enough to spend less than twenty bucks more to get the exact unit from the manufacturer? You are firmly implanted in some sort of middle ground there my friend. :D

11. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Looks like a 1Spot is 9vDC @ 1700mA. So yes, the Wammy should work with the 1Spot. However, I'd imagine things will get pretty noisy once you add a second pedal. I'd recommend an isolated power brick.

12. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    Can you provide a technical explanation for me? I am pretty good at breadboard electronics and am genuinely curious.

13. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    Yeah man, I'm in that "pocket" hahaha. :D

I'm just pissed because I bought the pedal off Reverb for $130 thinking I got a great deal and realized it didn't come with a power supply. Now I'm trying to find a suitable, cheaper alternative so I can still have my deal..

two fingers likes this.
  14. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Lesson one, never trust Reverb

15. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I haven't had a problem with Reverb yet. They did mess up my address once, but remedied the issue with minimal stress to me. Have you had an issue with them?

16. Yes I've powered the new bass whammy along with a few low power pedals off a one spot

Jonny_Orange and Swimming Bird like this.
  17. LSMFT6

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I've never used the site, mainly because of all the horror stories I've read on TGP.
    When I first heard about Reverb, it seemed like the better alternative to eBay, in that you'd get a wider audience of buyers/sellers compared to sites like this one and TGP without all the scammers that eBay is known for.
    The only problem is that not only do there seem to be just as many scammers on Reverb, but I've read multiple cases where Reverb sided with the scammer in instances where the victim filed a claim.

That, and sales traffic here and on TGP has noticeably slowed since Reverb took off.

Back on topic, you can power the new B-wham with any standard 9V tap as long as it has more than 265mA, though you will need to isolate it to prevent added noise.
    I used mine with a Mooer Micro Power Supply and a GigRig Timelord isolating adapter and it worked perfectly.

18. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    I don't personally care about other people's horror stories, except when they amount to negative feedback on a specific merchant's account and I'm considering purchasing from them. I've had a good experience on Reverb and didn't intend to bash them with my post - it is totally my fault that I was misinformed on the charger, not the merchant's. It was not in the ad and I could have asked about it. Reverb is a pretty good place to do business, and if you want to be careful, you can rely just as much on customer feedback as you would on TB classified or Ebay or any other online marketplace.

19. LSMFT6

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I'll stick to buying/selling used on here and TGP, it's served me well for years.
    Not to sound like a jerk but there's currently a Bass Whammy for sale here in the Classifieds for around the same price you paid, plus it has the adapter :thumbsup:

20. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    If you want to criticize anybody on Reverb, criticize Sam Ash because it was a merchant account for one of their stores out east... It was $120 before shipping, and it was my foolish mistake to not think about powering the pedal at the time of purchase. Either way, in my box of random wires and junk, I found an adapter for 9VDC @350mA of the correct polarity, so HA! Hopefully it runs well.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022