power to cabs w/different ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Apr 28, 2003.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    If I use 2 cabs, one w/8ohms resistance and one with 4, and I wire them in parallel to an amp that can handle a 2 ohm load will each cab get a different amount of watts? Or will the total wattage be divided evenly between the two cabs?
  2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    When you connect a 4-ohm load and an 8-ohm load to the same voltage, the 4-ohm load will have twice as much current passing through it as the 8. Thus, it will receive twice as much power as the 8-ohm load does.
  3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I run a 2-10 4 ohm cab and 1-15 8ohm cab equallying a 2.67 ohm load. Yes the 2-10 receives twice the power, but what most people neglect to consider, is it has two 8 ohm speakers, so really all three speakers receive the same amount of power, and because the 15 has more speaker surface I don't notice much difference in each cabinets volume. ;) This has been my experience, but it is not based on any electronic or mathematical equation. As always, I could be wrong??
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sure, you could be wrong. ;) You didn't mention anything about efficiency, which could be different for each cabinet. But seriously, if both cabs sound about equal in volume, then all of the technical hoopajou is a moot point.

As always, *I* could be wrong. :)
  5. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001