1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

power to cabs w/different ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Apr 28, 2003.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    If I use 2 cabs, one w/8ohms resistance and one with 4, and I wire them in parallel to an amp that can handle a 2 ohm load will each cab get a different amount of watts? Or will the total wattage be divided evenly between the two cabs?

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    When you connect a 4-ohm load and an 8-ohm load to the same voltage, the 4-ohm load will have twice as much current passing through it as the 8. Thus, it will receive twice as much power as the 8-ohm load does.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I run a 2-10 4 ohm cab and 1-15 8ohm cab equallying a 2.67 ohm load. Yes the 2-10 receives twice the power, but what most people neglect to consider, is it has two 8 ohm speakers, so really all three speakers receive the same amount of power, and because the 15 has more speaker surface I don't notice much difference in each cabinets volume. ;) This has been my experience, but it is not based on any electronic or mathematical equation. As always, I could be wrong??

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sure, you could be wrong. ;) You didn't mention anything about efficiency, which could be different for each cabinet. But seriously, if both cabs sound about equal in volume, then all of the technical hoopajou is a moot point.

As always, *I* could be wrong. :)

5. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Thanks Bob!