power to push gs 112's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clouddead, Oct 4, 2003.

1. clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    How much power should i push two aggie gs-112's with? I have a Hartke 3000 and it clips at 5, blah... i was planning on get a power/pre set up, but how power is needed? cause i tested these things outside, playing at 150 watts, and it didnt do much. then anything after half way up on the master dial, it clips. i dont have the bass, treble, and mids boosted at all. they are all sitting at 11 o clock. i just was expecting more than what i heard.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    optimumally you should be usung an integrated head that can out out 600 watts into 4 ohms or a power amo than can put 300 watts into 8 ohms per side
    you can get away with a little more wattage than this as long as you listen closely to your cabinets to prevent them fromn being clpped or overdriven
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    i'D say 350W into 4ohms MINIMUM! IF you can get 600 or more into 4ohms.

I use 350 with two gs-112s and its good but i feel sometimes i'm on the edge of not controling the woofers. does that make sense?
  4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    If you were planning on getting a power pre amp thingy then get the one of the aguilar preamps and a nice amp like a crest LT 1000 or a Stewart 1.5 or QSC. It would definietly sound better than the Hartke. I use a SWR SM-900 head with my GS 1-12 cabs and it sounds great. But I want an aguilar head a preamp poweramp set up. I love aguilar.
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    When I auditioned the Aguilar GS-112's I played through a Aguilar DB-750. With my guitar, G&L SB-1 (1985), it didn't sound very good and the tone controls were not flexible enough to make it sound real good to me. Bad Bass? Passive pickups? I don't know, but Tony at WWW.planetbass.com played a new active pickup modulus 4string through it and it sounded GREAT! We also played through my SWR bass350/RBI rig and that sounded better for my guitar.
  6. I'm playing a GK 1001RB through two of these. Sounds fantastic! 540W @ 4 Ohms. 270W per cabs seems right to me. Plus, I believe that the GK can push over 800W in quick bursts when you really need it for speaker control.
  7. When I owned two GS112s I ran 1000 watts into the pair and they didn't flinch....I only have one now and when I do use it I put 700 watts into it no problem....I think that they sound better when you push them slightly.