1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Valves for my V4BH?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jesso, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jesso

jesso

May 30, 2008
    Hey there,
    My V4BH (3 years old) needs a valve.... one of them isnt lighting up.
    The repair guy says, may as well replace em all, cos theyve never been replaced before! He only stocks Groove Tubes.... is this a bad bad idea or will it not make any difference at all to the sound?
    Should I get my own tubes for it?

Best

Jesse

2. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I think Groove Tubes generally get an "OK" recommendation from people, and I've found that power tubes affect the tone much less than preamp tubes, but I think you can do better. A nice matched quartet set of 6L6 JJ tubes from www.tubedepot.com can be had for probably whatever he is charging for the groove tubes; just get them yourself and have him install/bias them! But, yes, its a good idea to change all the tubes out if one is blown, and matching sets also help an amp perform at its peak.

3. jesso

jesso

May 30, 2008
    Thanks very much, that clears up a few things for me!

4. 3 years is not too long to go. Power tubes can go for much longer than that.

That being said, now that one has blown, replacing with a matched set is the proper thign to do. Whether or not JJ's or GT or Sovteks or numerous others will make a difference is up to you and your ears. Some claim absolutely there is a difference, others, nothing.

5. Winged C finals in my V4BH.

Preamp and the PI are a mix of NOS.

I'm thinking about fresh power supply caps on mine due to the age of the amp.

I purchased my finals from Antique Electronics.

Jamie