power/volume problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    i have finaly had a chance to use my 'new' rig in anger, but i seam to be lacking volume.

The rig:

Ashdown RPM-1 pre amp. Hi and Lo x-over out into-
    Peavey PV-2600 poweramp
    Hi's running into a Warwick 211 2x10
    Lo's into a Warwick 115 1x15

I can run the poweramp just to point of cliping ( each cab should be getting 550w each) and the cabs dont distort... but it just doesnt seem to be very loud.

I have a 2-channel compressor not being used at the moment... would compressing the hi and lo signals seperatly help at all?
  2. I had the same problem with a peavey amp awhile back. I accidentally ran the 1/4 inch from my pre into the wrong line(Slave out, but I still got quiet to medioquer volume and clipping), you want to run the 1/4 inch in through the center of the xlr jack, that's where it's supposed to go If it is like the one I played with.
  3. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    ive checked the connections... there plugged in the center of the xlrs. its not really quiet... it just doesnt seam to be any louder than my 400w head.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've found the same thing - generally I can get more volume from my 400w bass head than most pre-power amp arangements - but no one on this board believes me.

You may want to read through THIS THREAD.
    It's long but there is a lot of good info there.

There was also a very informative follow up thread HERE
  5. zoran

May 10, 2002
    cut the lows and go louder:)
  6. Going from 400W to 1100 watts will buy you 4.4 decibels. Not all that much. It should be very clearly audible, though. Just don't expect it to blow away your previous amp.

And I concur with zoran. Cut back your lowest frequencies and put the freed watts into the 100-200 Hz range. That's where most of your sound is anyway. It will help you cut through a lot better.
    If you want real lows, get a sub.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had the same problem when I went from a 350w bass head to a power/pre rig. I was expecting this HUGE wall of sound from my new rig. It was definitely louder, but not as loud as I expected. I think my own expectations ruined it for me. Once I lowered my expectations, I was happier. I was especting a re-creation in my garage of that scene in "Back to the Future" when Marty gets blown across the room when he hits a power chord. :D

Yep, you gott a back off them lows pal. You'll notice more volume right away.

Petebass....I believe you.

8. Same here, I went from a 130W combo to a 350W rig. Though I am a technician myself and I knew that it would only get me something like 3dB extra. Anyway I expected that the extra volume would be incredible.
    (must admid that even now I am still what disapointed...)

I think it is quite difficult to have an objective opinion (by listening) how loud an amp is. And after spending a lot money you expect heaven (or in this case hell?)

Also the place of your rig is quite important.
    Many years I played on my old peavey TNT combo with 1x15". On top of the flight case so right next to my ears..... Now the 4x10 on the floor and that cost me for me at least 3dB's...so lift it up or buy an extra 1x15. (damned)

And like Joris and the rest: Be carefull with your expectations and set a smart eq setting.
  9. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    i havnt had much time to play with the eq, ive been playing with it flat, just used the eq on my bass.

would it be worth connecting up the compressor?? its just lying around at the moment.

also... whats the best x-over freq to use. at the moment i have it set to it's highest point (160hz)and should i use the 30hz low cut on the power amp, or will that remove too much bottom end? also is the ddt (limiter) circuit worth using on the power amp

a friend of mine has suggested i replace the 2x10 with a 4x10 as it will have more cone area, therefore sound louder... would that help?
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    "a friend of mine has suggested i replace the 2x10 with a 4x10 as it will have more cone area, therefore sound louder... would that help?"

yeah, that will help. i don't think the compressor will do anything for your volume though. it won't "hurt" anything to hook it up...just don't expect a volume increase if you do.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    With those cabs it doesn't really make sense to biamp, as the 10"s provide useful response down lows and the 15" will reach well up into the mids. (Aside: Very few bass cabs are well suited to biamping as most are designed to work as stand-alone cabs. A good biampable rig would need cabinets as different as an SWR Big Ben 1x18" for the lows and Ashdown 4x8" for the highs and mids, crossed over near 100Hz. Anyway...)

Try taking a fullrange output from the preamp and bridge the amp into the cabs. You shouldn't come up against thermal problems due to 2 ohm operation unless you run the amp to clipping but if you do that you'll burn out your voice coils. Keep the DDT turned on just in case you reach clipping (but turn down if you do). And use the 40Hz lowcut filter - neither of your cabs have any useful output below there, so free up some headroom by getting rid of those inaudible frequencies.

If that's still not loud enough, try some compression on your lows or even cutting the bass frequencies on your preamp. Watch the subharmoniser as well - that'll eat up stupid amounts of headroom if you're not careful.

12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    All good advice so far. If you're still having trouble hearing yourself, give the mids a bit f a boost to help you cut through. I like to use 250Hz for this but it varies depending on the room and what other frequencies are bouncing around the stage. Last night 500Hz worked better....

By now you're probbaly thinking that you're going to sound awful when playing on your own. Don't be concerned with that. Concentrate on what is sounds like when everyone is playing along and you'll be much happier.