Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power vs. Loudness/Tone ?'s (rethinking my rig again)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjgallen, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Two Avatar 2x10s + 1500Wpower/pre

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Some other 4x10 + 500Wpower/pre or head

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Two configurations:

A 4x10 that can handle 400W, powered to max (400W)

A 4x10 that can handle 1400W, powered to max (1400W)

Tell me if this is correct. Assuming everything else is equal (porting, tuning, etc.), the 4x10 @ 1400W is only ~5.44dB louder than the 4x10 @ 400W (10*Log(1400/400) or is that the wrong)?? How noticeable is that?

I have an Avatar 1x15 and 2x10. I don't like the 1x15 much, so I'm gonna ditch it. Should I just swap it for another Avatar 2x10, or should I ditch them both and shop around for a good used 4x10?

This is the reason for my question. Two Avatar 2x10s would handle around 1400W. Most 4x10s I've seen handle less power (I'm looking at Ampegs and SWRs that handle 400W), so that means if I just buy another 4x10 I could downgrade my power amp to something lighter, or just get rid of the rack and get a good head.

And then there's the question of how other 4x10s would SOUND (ie tone) compared to the Avatars.

So I dunno, answer the poll and give me your thoughts/opinions. It would be cool to break even money-wise (after selling/buying), but I can stand to lose $300-$400. :bassist:

2. What is it you don't like about your present rig?????

3. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I feel that I have excessive power I don't really need. My rack is damn heavy and trimming off some weight would be nice.

I don't like the sound of the 15 that much, plus it's just bulky and I don't feel that it adds much to my sound. Yes I realize a 4x10 would also be bulky but it has over 2x as much speaker area inside a simliar size box.

Tone-wise I'm pretty happy, but I think most of the tone comes from my bass. I plugged it into my crappy practice amp and it still sounded good.

I just think I'd be able to downsize with a minimal loss of sound.

4. What does your rack consist of?

5. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Carvin DCM1500 Power Amp
    Peavey TB Raxx Preamp

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I think you should sell your 115, and get another 210 from Avatar...trying to get your money back from selling two cabs may be a difficult feat, and if you generally like the B210's sound, to me it makes sense to get another one...

The B210 is what, $260? So if you can sell your 115 for a reasonable sum, you won't be shedding too much more dough, and also, you get the option of using a single 210 for a smaller gig.

JMHO :)

7. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Can't answer that one...you'd have to a/b it with someone's 410 and see which you would prefer.

8. Getting rid of the weight is easy, ( Stewart or PLX ) too bad it isn't cheap. If all you want is a loud amp with a head, Look into a used Hartke 3500, sell the 1x15 and replace it with another 2x10.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you want to have MORE power than your speakers are rated for, ideally.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's what I'd suggest.

You're current speaker config looks good to me. And you said yourself that you're happy with the tone. A 15 with a 2x10 sounds nothing like 4x10's. I feel that's you'd regret downsizing to 4x10's. Yes I did say downsizing. I've never seen a 4x10 that could keep up tith a 15 + 2x10 setup. That stuff about "twice the speaker cone area" is marketing mumbo jumbo from my experience.

11. no it doesn't. the little convex part in the center of the speakers don't count. a 15 actually has more speaker area than 2 10s.

12. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i didnt vote because i havent try any descet 4x10

and also

i just finish hearing all the satellite of POD
    and the bassplayer uses avatar
    and

i dont hear it at all

i hear stu zender with his warwicks.... warwick amp¿?
    i hear p nut with his warwick on SWR

but i dont hear traa with his warwick with avatar...

sooooooo

that is my 2 cents

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    There is so much other stuff to take into account when listening to bands like those that you can't really judge their equipment (especially speaker cabs) from what you hear. There's a good chance a lot of what you're hearing (or not hearing) isn't traa's avatar or stu's warwick amp or p-nut's SWR at all.