Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Dec 26, 2003.

1. amps. Thats right poweramps. I was kinda unaware that this was doen until a couple of days ago.. Instead of the traditional 'bass head', a sorta preampp/poweramp thing can be done? Does it sound as good? HOw does it relate price-wise? Anyone have it? Any suggestions? (I GASign up my rig: I have a 5-String wit ha couple of active pickups, and I'm looking to get a nice amp and cab..)

I play a variet yof styles but: 'Blues - Funk -Metal' msu tbe covered for band purposes...
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    A preamp/poweramp rig will most likely cost more (unless you find some bargains on used gear...like I have:D ). But with cost, you gain flexibility and have the potential to assembly a much more powerful setup (my main power amp is a 2400 watt QSC PLX2402).

One benefit is that if you start off (and can afford to) but a very powerful, pro quality power amp, you won't need to replace it for a long, long time. As your tonal tastes change, you can swap out preamps but keep the same power amp. In the long run it will probably cost you less overall.

If you have a good selection of used gear in your area, you might be in luck. I've purchased more than one pro quality bass preamps for under $50 US. Granted, they were older models, but they still sound great and are completely reliable.

Take a look through the Show Us Your Amps thread...you'll see a number of preamp/power amp rigs...from the most basic to the mindblowing.

Have fun!!!!
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH