Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jack Daniels, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Apr 20, 2004
    I am currently using an SWR 750X with an Ampeg 810. It seems like I really have to crank the SWR to get a good stage volume. Is there anything I am missing for this reason? I get a great sound but it's almost like the SWR isn't pushing enough volume without clipping the preamp. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
  2. yer SWR is probably rated to handle speakers at 4 ohms...if yer using one 8 ohm cabinet you'll only get so much (75% i'm guessing i forget the math) power from the SWR. using two 8 ohm cabs will give you the full deal. if this is not the fix then I'm not sure what to try next. my swr w/ single cab experience says use as much post gain as you can stomach and then use pre gain to get desired volume....my $.02
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Edit: Is this is the right forum? Seems like it should belong in "Amps".

The SWR is rated 750W @ 4 Ohms RMS. The Ampeg is a 4 Ohm cab. I can't imagine a situation where that much power through the 8x10 wouldn't be loud enough. You should be running through a PA when that combo cann't cut it. I used a 350W Hartke head (volume on "6") through that cab, and it was loud enough.

Please don't take offense to this, but are you sure you have the speaker cable in the right input/output? The 8x10 has 3 1/4" inputs: one for all 8 speakers, and one for each 4x10. I'm sure you're aware of this but I just wanted to check.

I don't have much experience with this amp, but I'd say experiment with the gain settings, and make sure you dial in some mids.

I hope you find a solution. :)