Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Ok, I have a couple of questions: 1. What's the difference between program and RMS power on Cabs? 2. What exactly does it mean to run a rig mono, bridged, or stereo? 3. What's the deal with maximum power handling? Example: Is it ok to run two four ten cabs that take 400 watts each at 350 each? What are the disadvantages of doing that? Thanks a lot.

My main Question about RMS power and program power is how it relates to Cabinets. What does it mean if a cabinet can take 300 watts RMS and 600 watts program?

2. Stereo (biamped) sends the high frequencys to one cab, and the lows to another. There's a crossover to adjust where you switch cabs. You'd usually run this with a Xx10 cab runing highs and a 15 or 18 on the lows.

Mono runs 1 or multiple cabs at full range.

Bridged is for amps with 2 internal power amps. This runs them as one. Note this gets full power from the amp, and often takes weird ohm loads from multiple cabs, resulting in not-so-good stuff.

RMS means power that can run stabily at a reasonable temperature, usually with all knobs at 5.

3. Huh? The position of the knobs has nothing to do with how much power will come out of the cab or amp. About a dozen other factor come into play.

Please read the RMS thread posted above for clarification.

Regards,
    Joris.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

I am soooo sorry.

6. I typed the rms bit in a hurry. I think I confused people.

ok... RMS is the power an amp is designed to run at. While lots of factors do effect where the knobs are when the amp is working at RMS, usually it's achieved somewhere around 12:00.

Is that better, or is it still wrong?

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes.. Again.

8. Like I said:

I can run my amp at full power with the volume knob at 0.1 and I can get hardly any sound with the volume cranked to 11.

So in other words:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    1. "RMS" power is a common but not really correct way of saying continuous power. A continuous power rating describes how much average power the speaker drivers (and crossover components) can handle for a sustained period of time without burning out.

"Program" power is a roundabout way of recommending an approximate optimum amplifier power rating that will be safe for the speaker for normal music and/or voice signals. For example, if a speaker has a 300-watt continuous rating and a 600-watt program rating, the manufacturer is telling you that the speaker can safely handle a continuous signal averaging 300 watts, such as a 300-watt sine wave, or pink noise whose average power is 300 watts (though the peaks would be higher). If you exceed 300 watts of continuous average power, though, you run the risk of overheating the driver(s) or crossover components, causing something to burn out or melt. If you put an amp rated at 600 watts on the speaker and put music through it, you'll have power for peaks, but the average power will tend to be significantly lower than 300 watts. Be careful not to drive the amp into clipping.

2. Mono = one amp channel. Stereo = two independent amp channels. Bridged mono = two amp channels set up to operate as a single channel would.

3. Yes, you can. You won't be operating the speakers at their maximum capacity, though. But it might be enough for your situation. If you can get the sound levels you want without driving the amp into clipping, you've got enough power.

See answer #1 above.