Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cobrasneverdie, Jun 5, 2003.

1. i know there are other threads on power but here it goes anyway. i am making my finial discions on a cab and head.i am looking at 2 2x10 avatar cabs or a 4x10 avatar cab (would there be any diffence in sound)and a gallien kruiger head but here is the deal. i am dealing with a loud ass drummer and a guitarist with a 100watt marshall head and a berrenger cab. how many watts should i get to keep up?
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...0223794457/g=bass/search/detail/base_id/41784 that should be more than enough for small gigs or in auditoriums/halls?
  2. XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Hey check out the for sale section. Theres an M2000 for 550. I know you guys are probally sick of me raving about these things, and a few people here despise them, but the m2000 is my favorite bass amp and i highly recommend it. a few months ago you would have paid 2 grand for that amp, but since they are on clearance you can get them new for 999. I suggest you check them out! Btw its 625 watts at 4ohm.

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Ditto on the M-2000. Too bad Mesa is discontinuing them. That made me HAVE to drive up to Hollywood and buy an xtra one :D for $999. I'm still thinking about getting a 3rd one and slapping it in a Genz-Benz 2x10 cab with the built-in rack spaces...pretty sweet combo!
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
  6. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    What type of speaker cabinet does the guitarist that you are playing with use?
    If it is a 4x12 you probably will not be able to keep up with a single 4x10 even if you have 500 watts of power.
    If it is a 2x12 you can get by with a 4x10.
    Remember, you are producing frequencies lower than the guitarist, so you will most likely need more speaker surface area to produce those lower frequencies.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    As was mentioned above, it really does depend on the guitar player(s) and drummer's volume levels. One band I play in has two guitars going through half stacks (one is a 100w Marshall, the other is a 50w Trace Elliot) and a fairly loud drummer, but they keep things under control, and I can more than keep up with my Mesa Boogie Walkabout (300w into 4 ohm) powering 1x10 and 1x12 Epifani cabs.

Now, when my other band was gigging out pretty heavey, our two guitar players each had 50w half stacks, and would push them pretty hard. I used to be able to keep up with 800w, but I was always running a very hot signal. Then I got a PLX 3002, and all was right in the world.:D

So, the answer is (as always) "It depends."