Poweramp added didn't help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grilli, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Grilli

Nov 12, 2001
    I recently purchased a QSC 1202 poweramp to add to my SVT 3 Pro in an effort to push my Pr410HLF to its capabilities. I attached it to the preamp out of my head and it made a little difference, if anything it ruined my tone. Has anyone had similar problems with attaching a poweramp to the SVT 3 Pro? Could I rewire the cab to draw power from both the QSC and the 3 Pro? Any suggestions or recommendations? I'm on the verge of just returning the QSC. Thanks fellas
  2. Bump for you dude.

I also own a SVT-3 Pro and don't have lacking volume problems with it, but I'd like to know about this solution in case I'd have a similar problem in the future.
  3. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Did you try the QSC Tech Support Forum , they should be able to help you out.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    was it not loud enough?

cause then its either not working, or your just deaf. those 1202's push some SERIOUS air.

are you sure you went from the preamp out to the power amp straight to the cab? some guys dont quite understand that you're no longer plugging the cab into the amp, but the power amp.
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    As far as the tone being different (ruined ;) ) You found out the same thing I did the brief time I owned the SVT3 pro. If you run a line from the pre amp out to a power amp you by pass the "Drive" section in between the pre and power amp. I actually preffered this tone better.
  6. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i have been toying with the idea of adding a poweramp to my SVT 3. I'd like to hear more on this...
  7. ... more people who tried using another poweramp with the SVT-3's preamp?
  8. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    ...sold my svt3 and bought a mesa 400+

9. a_5string

Feb 19, 2003
    midwest - Iowa
    I have been using an SVT3 PRO with a separate power amp for quite awhile now. One thing for sure, it makes for a dang heavy rack, even with a QSC PLX! :( That is why, in a recent GAS attack, i have purchased an svp pro to try among other things... the svt3 is going on ebay.

Grilli, I am guessing that you are using the PLX1202 bridged mono into the PR410HLF? That amp should really make that cabinet SING!

Anyway, I have used 3 different pwr amps the last few years with my svt3; a Samson S1500, a Crest CPX2600, and currently a QSC PLX3002. The big thing, as mentioned before, is the svt3 preamp output is taken BEFORE the final - single 12AU7 tube gain or "drive" section. The tube gain knob has no effect on the signal that is at the preamp out jack. I have been able to get a tone that i like and that sounds great, even without that final "drive" stage. Some folks may not though. One thing that i HAVE found is that the svt3 preamp out signal is weak. With all 3 different amps, I have had to run the graphic EQ on all the time and have had to really raise the EQ level to get enough "volume" out of it. With the EQ section off it doesn't seem to put out a hot enough signal. HTH.