Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poweramp advice???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr_Dave, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi,

i'm thinking of dropping my wt550 plans and going all out with an aguilar db659 pre.

i want to run a 4ohm 410, i plan on getting an epifani ul.

i'm in australia and aguilar is sooooooo expensive out here. that pre retails at $2900aus!! :meh: i'm going to get that online

but i want to get a poweramp locally, and my options look like

mackie1400

yamaha p3500s

or crown?

i've read lots of good things about the mackie on here(apart from weight) and a little bad about reliability.

does anyone have any experience with the yamaha??

Thanks!

2. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Yamaha is usually the pillar of reliability, but is also made with that in mind, not ease of use, portability or musicality.

I use Crest (www.crestaudio.com)

The CPX line of amplifiers is very inexpensive. check the american ebay for a crest cpx 900. It will cost you about 300 AU and sounds great, weighs in at about 30 lbs.

Specs:

Power Rating 8 Ohm Stereo: 180 Watts
    Power Rating 4 Ohm Stereo: 300 Watts
    Power Rating 2 Ohm Stereo: 450 Watts
    Power Rating 8 Ohm Bridge: 600 Watts
    Power Rating 4 Ohm Bridge: 900 Watts
    Distortion: <0.01 % SMPTE-IM
    Output Circuitry: Class AB
    Current Draw: 5.0 Amperes

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Which Crown models are available?

I really like Crest CA9, too.

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    thanks,

thats kinda what i thought about the yamaha. i don't mind lugging the weight but i want something that is very strong. (i've used and abused :) my gk400rbIII for 4 years and it has never had a problem.

but just to clarify are you saying that the yamaha sounds less musical? is it sterile??

i've looked at other brands like crest and QSX that are popular on here but i wasn't sure about the 120v american operation being changed to 240volt australian?

5. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    i checked out the crown xls602 on an australian website but i probably get anything ordered.

i've seen the ca-9 in your posts before but it is rather expensive... other thing was the 120/240volts thing...

other thing is i thought it might be better to get a poweramp out here so if something does go wrong i can take it to them. i can get a good deal on a poweramp but the aguilar i can't...

and the other other thing... :) is. if i'm going to be spending really serious money on a poweramp, then it might be better for me to keep saving and get a db750... i've been reading all those 750vs everthing else threads... hmmmmmm

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm currently borrowing a Mackie 1200i (or something close to that- 1200 is in the name!) and mainly b/c my friend can't use it for his PA cause Channel 2 is busted. ;) So there ya go for reliability! But, it's not even in production anymore and I think is like 11 yrs old with who knows what kind of care put into it, so I'm gonna see how much it is to fix so I can bridge it at the full 1200W, and then just maybe buy it from my friend if I can. But, Chan. 1 seems to work fine with no sweat, and it sounds great in my rig. It's a little heavy, but same as a QSC PLX or something. Just a tidbit for ya.

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    anyone had any experience with the yamaha??