1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Poweramp for 4x10 rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grlzzly, May 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Grlzzly

Grlzzly

May 29, 2018
    Hi folks,

I want to build a 4x10 combo rig. It's actually for guitar.

The idea is to have a small power-amp that I can build into a 410 speaker cabinet so it works like a true combo amp. However, instead of also building in a pre-amp with it, I plan to use a modelling pedal as a pre-amp that I can plug into the power amp. That way, I have a modular system and I can mimic any amp of my choice by simply plugging in the appropriate pedal.

I just don't know how many watts I'll need for the power amp. I dont know anything about speaker impedance either. What are some budget-friendly power-amp and speaker combinations? Is this even a good idea? It seems power-amps are somewhat popular in the bass community, but no one seems to be doing it in the guitar community. I know some guitarists use modelling pedals directly into PA systems, which is basically the same thing. I do have a yorkville keyboard amp but I use it for vocals, and I would like a 4x10 equivalent for my guitar so I can move more air.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Last edited: May 29, 2018