1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PowerAmp for in front of Bass Pod.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stflbn, Jun 20, 2007.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Any guidance on a decent PowerAmp to put in front of a Bass Pod and going into a David Eden 2x10 cab? Home recording and small venue use, but with ability to add another cabinet to the Eden if possible. I've already tweaked the Line6 settings to my preference, so I'm opting to continue going this direction rather than a combo, or individual effects, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. The QSC-PLX line is rather light weight and very powerful. I use a 1202 which is the smallest one they make and it more than powers my El-Whappo jr. Also very dependable

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    You want to put a power amp in front of a Bass POD? That ain't gonna work.

4. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I think he means: Bass Pod - Power Amp - Cab

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I hope so! And a Carvin DCM is a fine amp for the purpose described.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Right.... Bass, Pod, Power, Cabinet

7. What's the power handling of your 2x10 eden? I'm lookin at a QSC PLX 1802 or a CA9 myself. . I have a Gs412 and a GS112 so I'm fishin for a nice power amp that I could run both cabinets on pending on the situation, I've had some good suggestions here already. There's a nice amp selector tool you could use on the QSC website if you'd want to take a look at that.
    http://qscaudio.com/products/amps/plx2/amp_selector.htm

8. seakamp

seakamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Having owned both the CA9 and the PLX 2 1802 I can say they are both killer power amps and great choices to choose from.

I must say, I've NEVER needed to bridge the CA9 to do what I needed it to do. It is LOUD, LARGE(heavy), and LOW. No power amp that I have used compares to it. Anyone who says that all power amps are the same has never tried one of these beasts.

If weight is an issue the PLX 2 series is GREAT! The 1802 I had is extremely light for the amount of power it pushes out. Highly recommended if you have trouble with the weight of a lead sled power amp. If tone can't be compromised, go for that lead sled!

With the cab choice you have said you are going to use, you probably don't need a CA9. Do look into the 1802, great amp!

9. THanx bro, I take it you ran the 1802 at 575w out of a single channel eh?

I like that the PLXs has the conectivity of speakons over the binding posts of the CA9 ( at least from what I've read the speakon version of the CA9 isn't available in N. America ). I've worked as an engineer and IMO speakons are preffered especially in live situations, but it's not a deal breaker.

27lbs difference between the PLXs and the CA9 doesn't really seem like that a big difference in the weight of a rack ( yeah I know YET!! I say that now, feel free to laugh! at least my rack has wheels. )

If the tone of the CA9 is THAT much better it may be worth it. I'm still lookin for a place to try em both out, no luck in my area just yet so I'm relying on TB for now. Muchas Gracias

10. seakamp

seakamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    I have use the 1802 in about every way you can. Stereo, bridged, under ohm ratings - the thing never failed me and was a great light, loud amp.

If you are choosing to put a CA9 in a rack you have to consider a couple of things:

Weight
    Rack depth

The CA9 *can* turn a manageable rack into an immovable one. All depending on how much you can lift of course. I'd highly recommend a separate rack for the CA9 and the rest of your rack gear(power conditioner, tuner, pre, etc...). This made it MUCH easier on my back and I didn't mind lugging the CA9 around after this.

The CA9 is deeper than the typical power amp and won't fit in most racks. If you are thinking about adding a CA9 into an existing rack system make sure to consider the CA9's depth. I think it is somewheres around 18" deep.

An 1802 wouldn't be a back breaker to add to an existing rack system, however, different strokes for different folks. Hope some of that helps.

11. Outstanding! Thanx again pal!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021