1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poweramp for my EBS HD350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Apr 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I have a EBS HD350.I use it with two 4 ohm Avatar 1-12" cabs. Love the way it sounds! But sometimes I wish I had a little more power. The next model up is much more expensive, so I was thinking about getting a separate power amp for the times when i play louder gigs.
    I don't know much about this sort of thing,class C or D, getting a stereo amp and bridge it, or leave in stereo and use one side for each cab. Or get a mono poweramp ( they seem to be hard to find). I don't really want to get a heavy beast of a poweramp. Small and light is good for me.
    I have a Eden WT550 that puts out about 750 (I guess) into 2 ohms, which is what I got, and that totally does the trick. But on the Eden I catch myself fiddling with the knobs too much.I am always tempted to try to improve the settings. On the EBS I can just set it and not touch it all night.
    So can I get some input from you guys about how I can best up the power with the EBS as a preamp?

2. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    I would compare the cost of a 750 watt power amp versus selling your amp and using the funds to purchase a 750 watt bass amp of the brand you like. I used separates for a very long time and they work great. But there is also a whole lot to be said of a dedicated bass amp especially in these days of high power newer amp modules. Simple can sometimes be easier.

lomo likes this.
  3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Good advice above, but you can also do as you described - run a line out of your EBS to each channel of a stereo amp and power 1 speaker from each side. You can find all kinds of lightweight power amps (under 15 lbs) these days, reasonably priced, especially used.

4. Sound guys I have known say that the lightweight poweramps sound too wimpy for sub woofers, is that something I have to worry about for my setup? I do play a 5 string but I play mostly Contemporary Jazz, Latin and the occasional Dance gig.

5. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    In my "big rig" I run an EBS 1V2 rack mount preamp into a QSC PLX2 (1804 or 3602) power amp with great results. (And their visual designs match well, IMO.)
    The PLX sereis are light weight, but not Class D. They are Class H, but use a SMPS to reduce weight.
    IMHO, these specific amps give up nothing in audio performance over a similarly speced "lead sled", at least as long as they are used for bass guitar. For club installations, pushing subs to the limit, other models might be better for both reliability and in getting that ultimate subwoofer impact.

TomB likes this.
  6. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    Agreed. I used a plx1804 as my main big rig for several years and it sacrificed nothing; it easily kept up with two guitarists with double Marshall stacks without breaking a sweat.

7. I'm in the same boat. I love the tone of my HD 350 and really, really like how responsive the EQ is. The luthier who built my main bass was an EBS dealer at one time, so a lot of people who use GB basses also use EBS amps. There is a common agreement amongst them that the HD 350 has the sweetest EQ....better than the HD 360 and TD 660, so using one as the front end for a poweramp makes a lot of sense rather than simpler going for a bigger amp.

I have three options that I'm pursuing for more headroom.

1. Adding more speaker cone area/volume by adding a 2 x 15 to my rig...sounds like you are already at 2ohms though
    2. Adding a sub to the PA to let that do the heavy lifting and remove the need for my backline to be louder
    3. Getting a Barefaced FR800 powered cab to add to my rig (or a powered monitor to put more bass into my monitor mix)

8. Interesting, I have not heard much about the HD350 EQ vs the 360. I only read that the 360 is supposed to have a lower Bass EQ point than the 100hs point of the 350.I have EQs on my basses that are around 30 hz and I always have those up just a little so i never missed any low end.
    I have set up my two cabs side by side, one with the WT550 and the other with the HD350. Then I tried to get the Eden to sound similar to the EBS. The Eden WT350 does seem to sound a little deeper and warmer at the same volume with what I think is a similar EQ setting, but there is something about the EBS, simplicity, clarity, quickness... I'm a Jazz bass guy, Alex Al, John Pena , Marcus...that type of sound and it seems the EBS is the way to go for that.
    I suppose for louder gigs I could go from the HD350 pre into the eden and use it just as a poweramp. Simple enough,I wouldn't have to spend extra money...but I haven't tried that yet.

9. I had retired the HD 350 and tried the Carvin BX 700 and I also bought two Markbass LM IIs. But in the end I'm thinking that even though the EBS is a little under powered, nothing compares to the EQ of the HD350. Today as an experiment I hooked up one of my Little Marks as a power amp to the HD350 and it sounded really good, so next week I'll try it on a bigger outdoor gig..I'll be powering one of my 112 Avatars with the EBS and the other 112 with the Mark bass amp but using the preamp of the EBS. Can't wait.

10. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Most powered subwoofers are powered by lightweight class D amps.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021