1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poweramp for non colorization of preamp recs needed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Newget, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    Hello, I'm looking for suggestions for a poweramp that won't color the sound of the preamp too much. The budget is around $650. The power handling is about 1000 watts.
    Thanx

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Very few preamps can handle 1000 Watts ;)

Kidding aside, any solid state power amp with good specs will do the job. The Peavey switching amps look attractive.

3. QSC, Crown, Peavey come to mind.

4. m2o03

m2o03

Feb 27, 2006
    Iowa
    I've heard really good things about the 3 above...you might add Crest to the list as well a lot of bassists seem to take a liking to their 'CA' series. I pulled the trigger on a QSC PLX2 series PA myself...

5. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    The CA series amps are very expensive. I called two local dealers for a CA6 or CA9. The CA9 would run me about $1200 and the CA6 around $900. Maybe he can find a used one. The CA series is know for it's very clean power and ability to produce extreme low-end rumble.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You should be able to find a used CA9 well within that budget (<$650).

Tom.