Poweramp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheBigBadBass, Mar 25, 2002.

1. TheBigBadBass

Mar 19, 2002
    I am thinking of getting a setup with a sansamp Bass Driver DI as a preamp and some poweramp into an Ampeg svt410hlf.....I dont know much about power amps, so I was wondering what the best power amp would be that can give me about 800 watts at four ohms and an ampeg sound...
  2. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Define "best". Cheapest, lightest, smallest, gets you the most looks from the opposite sex, ... ??

Any modern solid state power amp will sound just like your preamp. Some claim to hear a difference between power amps, but the differences are very subtle indeed when used as a bass amp. If you want an Ampeg sound, you'd better have a preamp that sounds like an Ampeg.

I have a QSC RMX 1850HD and it kicks major @$$ at a very modest price. The RMX 1450 sounds like it would suit your needs. Give it a look.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Carvine DCM600 or Carvin DCM1000 (which I own...pretty snazzy piece of hardware...)
  4. TheBigBadBass

Mar 19, 2002
    Well, I was playing with the sansamp the other day through a cheapass crate bass amp and it made a SIGNIFICANT difference in the sound and I really liked the tonal variations that you could get out of it...it really has a good tube sound. I would probably go for an SVP Pro if had the money to get exactly what I wanted but I dont so I cant really get that.

I did think that a poweramp didnt matter as far as the sound went, I thought it just powered the speakers and amplified the preamp sound. But then I went to a live sound forum and they said that the poweramp's different ratings really made a difference in the amount of bass it puts out and stuff....thats why I was worried. Ill have to check out that QSC.

Brendan, I was thinking of getting the carvin because it has all the power I need for a good price, have you had any problems with that?
  5. Bass Player mag felt different when they did a power-amp shoot-out in 1995. They liked Crest, Mackie and SWR for best sound.
  6. I own the Sansamp BDDI pedal and I love it so after doing some digging here I've decided to experiment with the Sansamp RBI and a Carvin DCM1000. Both pieces together are just under $700. From what I've read this combination works well and is pretty affordable IMO.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I just added a QSC RMX-2450 power amp and an Ampeg SVP-Pro pre. Together they ran me about $1,200. I have a ton of head room so I get the really clean smooth creamy bottom I was after.

I was going to look for the Carvin DCM 1000 but there are no local dealers and I don't buy over the phone. I have to try out whatever I buy.

I am really happy with my rig now. I won't be gigging it until the middle of April.

I'll never use the 2400 watts it's capable of generating. I have been running a stereo 8ohm load 500watts per channel. I could bridge it mono and pull more clean power. I got the power to stay away from clipping or distorting.

The QSC was the least likely to come back for service according to the two best sales guys I know from two different places. Carvin may be as sturdy or even more so. I just know if I do have to get service, my local guy will give me a back-up to use. Carvin can't do that for me. So I spent about $300 for that assurance plus up to 1400 watts more. That's a price I'm willing to pay.

I got the SVP because it was a good deal (under $500). It has more tone control than any of the other stuff in the shop that cost $200 more. It runs 5 tubes and can help with some good punch and drive if I need it.

I could never get the same power and tone for that price from a head. No way in the world.