Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poweramp Recomendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrackBass, Apr 2, 2005.

1. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    I'm currently using a crown ce2000 amp in my rack. this amp has been a real workhorse. it's loud and ive never had a problem with it. lately i've sold a few things on ebay and played more gigs than usual, so there's a little bit of cash in the kitty to buy some new bass gear. although i like my amp i'm starting to feel that maby i could do better. i'm considering buying a new poweramp. i kind of like the buzz i'm hearing about the crest ca-9, but i have no idea how one would stack up to my current poweramp. anyone out there have experience with my amp vs. other quality amps? i'm also considering maby a crown macro,but i just don't know. any other amp recommendations? i'd probably buy used something less than $1000. i play a 4 string and slap alot. and we usually play loud. so lots of clean power (at least 1500-2000 watts) is paramount.

2. I'm really diggin' my Stewart World 1.6. It weighs 16 pounds and puts out 1,600 watts bridged at 4 ohms. I paid $639 for mine, brand new.

3. QSC PLX 2402!!!!

4. What's your speaker system and impedances?

5. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    schroeder 21012 4ohm.rated at 1250 watts. the only cab i need.

6. K. The reason I asked is because if you're running two 4ohm cabs, the Ca9 is the way to go. Nothing I know of in the 2000 watt class beats a Ca9 into 2x4ohms. Not RMX, not PLX not Stewart, not MA, not even the venerable K2. It's seems like the Ca9 was born for 4ohm stereo loads. Bridged into 4ohms it looses its power advantage and the competition catches up. It's still a damned fine choice though.

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    As long as it's loud enough and you're not having any problems with it, I say you should just let your gas pass quietly. IMO it's not worth spending all that money on something that you'll likely not notice much of a change in.
    Just my $0.02.

8. I agree with 'woof. Overnight sensation. God, what players, all around! Great handle 'woof! A blast from the past just seeing it!

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I went from a CE1000 to the XLS series from Crown. It was a step backward, so don't go there. However, the newer XS series amps from Crown are excllent, and lighter than your CE2000.

-Mike

10. I was using the CE-1000 as well , not NEARLY enough low end. Went to the Macro Tech 1200 and it just KILLS !!!

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    There seems to be two camps on this issue:
    -- those who believe that all (reasonably well designed and built) power amps sound the same.
    -- those who believe that not all watts are created equal.

The 1st camp would say, keep what you have if it's loud enough and meets your physical needs (not too heavy or whatever).

The 2nd camp seem to prefer Crest CA series or Crown MacroTech series amps.

Until proven otherwise, I lean toward the 2nd camp, but I don't believe that the amp has to be heavy to sound better (Lab.gruppen fP series for example).

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lowfreq, do you have any personaly experience with the Lab.gruppen fp series amps? I'm looking into these at the moment. Thanks.

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i tend to agree that if your rig ain't broke, don't fix it.

as far as camp #1 and camp #2, i'm in camp #1.5 :D

i use a stewart 2.1 because it sounds good and it's light. I'd use a plx without hesitation as well, although i'd splurge for a more powerful unit.

overall i belive that in strict "double blind" tests, most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference. that said, i recall when my gp switched our pa from the crown macro techs he was using to power techs he had in order to save weight. i had no idea that he had done that and asked "gee what's up with the pa?". (note this was heard in rehearsal, not at a gig) later on we a/b'd them and the macro techs clearly won out in the overall tone department. we still went with the power techs as he wanted to save weight, sell the macro techs, and to tell the truth the power techs still sounded darned good.

i'd use a macro tech 2400 in a second but i couldn't afford one, and i don't think i want a 50-some-odd-lb poweramp. i have no experience with the CA-9 and 1.2 the cats that use them will tell you there's no difference, the other 1/2 will disagree.

i don't think i'll be switching any time soon, but that's because i like the low weight, and because i think any improvement in tone would be subtle enough to be unnoticeable by joe average in the audience.

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I'll weigh in on the Crest. Extrememly solid sounding amps with wonderful customer service. The CA is an awesome choice, but does have the weight. The LT series to me is the best bang for the buck. Its not digital sounding like some other brands, weighs 30Lbs and the LT1000 is 1300 watts at 4 ohm bridge which will fit your cab great!

I've also inquired on the Lab.gruppen amps and I'm waiting to get a couple in to do some testing my self before picking up the line, but I'm very excited about them.

Thanks
    Brian

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    No personal experience (unfortunately).

They write some impressive hype on their website on the fP's and I've heard nothing but positive comments on the Lab.gruppen sound, quality, and reliability.
    Better have a healthy bank account, though.

You might check with TBer Prockenklang (John Prock), I know he has access to them.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, John's the one who I've contacted about it. I'm trying to sell my Glockenklang Soul Top to get a Millennia TD-1 pre and I'll need a poweramp. I've heard that the Lab.gruppen amps are fabulous. I'm a little concerned with what the price may be though. We shall see. I also want to know that if something goes wrong with it that I can get it fixed quickly within the States. I've had great luck with Crest in the past and I may just go that route.

17. The moral of the story I guess is that you shouldn't use double deaf people in a double blind test. :rollno:

But seriously, I don't know whats up with these double blind tests where nobody seems to hear any difference between one amp and another. When I went from a Crest V1100 to a Ca9 the difference in sound was quite remarkable. Same preamp, same cabs, same band practice room and the same volume levels was always practice at, the Ca9 was tighter, better defined than the V1100. I'm not talking about louder, which the Ca9 certainly can be, it was more solid and massive and spoke with more authority than the V1100. Even the drummer gave me a DAMN!! so I know it wasn't my imagination.

18. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    how much does a ca-9 weigh? i think my amp is pretty heavy, but i'm more flexible on going with more wieght in my rack after dumping my old 130 pound cab. i'm after clarity and headroom. my amp sounds pretty damn good but you know how it is, you always wonder if something else would sound better.

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well 1st off, i know from personal experience that some amps seem to sound better, so i'm not arguing with what you've heard.

"double blind" tests are common in psychology, and are underused in product evaluations (IMO). the idea being that neither the test subject or the direct test administrator knows what's being used. that way, the test administrator cannot psychologically influence the reaction of the test subject. often, test administrators will give subtle cues that give away when they're actually changing the amp, and when they're not. the test subject may not always pick up on those on a consious level, but enough research has been shown to back up that they often do on an unconsious level.

in the double blind, a 3rd tester actually makes the switches. the test administrator gets a little switch or what have you, but he or she never knows if it actually switched something or not. in these tests people have soemtimes ended up listening to six different amps (or whatever), and thinking it's been the same one all along. however, more frequently, the test subject and test administrators will think they've cycled thru all six amps, (and the subject will report different tones), but they have actually listened to the same amp six times. :smug:

20. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I didn't mean to imply that I thought all power amps sounded the same, though in theory they should.

It's just that he said his amp was a workhorse and plenty loud enough, and later even said it sounded pretty damn good but wondered if something else would be better. In that case I'd a least take the rig in someplace to compare the poweramps side-by-side. What if he spends a lot of dough on a new poweramp and doesn't notice much of a difference and regrets spending the money. That's several hundred dollars that could have been spent on something that he didn't already have.