1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poweramp Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Growly Lytes, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Hi guys,
    Im trying to find out the best setting for my poweramp to run properly, should the poweramps sensitivity be set to match the preamps sensitivity ?
    Im using a Tech 21 RPM to drive the amp.The RPM is 1v rms & the poweramp has .7v - 1.0v - 1.4v sensitivity settings.
    So the question is what sensitivity should the amp be set to run at full power ?
    Should it be on 1.0v to match the preamp ?
    P.S - Im using BP102 speakers.
    Thanks heaps.:confused:
    G.L

2. 1.0V setting would be right.

The settings are a nominal voltage level for a given dB level of signal (i forget what that level is, but its not important - I know studio line level is usually 0.775V @ some dB level)

If you set it for 0.7V the power amp gain would increase and could give you some nasty clipping which could damage your speakers.

1.4V and the amp gain is not going to be running at full power.

So yes, 1.0V is right.

3. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Thank You, i really am in your dept.
    Growly.

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Clipping doesn't damage your speakers, overpowering them does.

I'd try it with the .7 first myself and start with the master on the preamp all the way down and inch it up, then fiddle with gain til you get a sound you like.

The Sansamps tend to not have a lot of clean headroom so you won't want to have to use a lot of gain on the preamp to get the volume you like.

Just my 2 pence.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020