Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

poweramp that can go to 2ohms, sub $350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wilser, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Hello,
    I'm looking for a power amp that can go down to 2 ohms reliably. Maybe 800W or so.

Thanks,
    Wilser.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Good luck. Not too much in your price range that the do 2 ohms and 800+ watts. For $500 you can buy a brand new Kustom Groove Bass 1200 watt head that does 2 ohms. A used one (dealer demo) sold on Ebay over the weekend for $379, but they are so new that there are very few used ones around. That was the first used one (actually a dealer demo) that I've seen. I got mine for $485 new. Click on my sig for more info on this head. Other than that, I think that your options are almost nill...

3. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Quadzilla has every right to be addicted to the kustom groove head. He recommended it to me and I got mine last week. Its an amazing head for the price, and there customer service is amazing. I was able to get mine for 495 (plus 45 ship/handle) on ebay. But mine has a dent in the top, but thats the price you pay to get stuff cheaper.

4. Quadzilla

Yo Sutton, do me (and the rest of TB) and click on the link in my sig and give a mini review of the head in that thread please. I need some other TBer's who have tried or bought this head to back me up in that thread. I "discovered" Avatar cabs for TB and I think that I've now discovered the best bang for the buck head now too! :hyper:

5. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Will do. Yeah, I love the head (with the exception of that damn dent). Anyway, I'll write a mini review, but in exchange, I wanna see your EQ settings on your head :). My settings are good, but I'd like to experiment :)

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Sure, piece of cake.

Click here.

Goes down to 2ohms per side. 430w per side at 2ohms for a total of 860w. All for a measely $300.

:D

Joe.

7. Quadzilla

But he still has to buy a pre-amp too. San Amp DI = + $175 roughly. So you are up to $475 with that setup. Damn good setup though, but I'll take mine over that. Just my opinion. Just like a$$holes, we all have opinions! :) ;) :D For $25 more, I got him 1200 watts vs 800 = 50% more wattage for $25, woohoo!!!! :D

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I don't think he was looking to do "addition", just 800 watts at 2ohms, which the RXM850 does NOT do . . . .

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Lemme guess.....

You've got a pair of 4ohm cabs, and a head that doesnt go down to to 2ohms. That's what friggon happened to me and it drove me nuts :eek:

Or.... maybe you're just on the market for a new power amp. Who knows :p

I'm going to assume that you have a pair of 4ohm cabs. If that is the case, then I suggest the QSC RMX1450. It's $400 new, but I'm sure you could land one for under $350. You could hook up your cabs stereo and get 450Watts per side at 4ohms per side. This is exactly how my cabs are set up. You could also get an RMX850 used or new for $300 or less.... and that would give you 300Watts per side.

Now... in the extreme circumstance that you have a 2ohm cab (wow)...... Get the RMX1450. It wont go to 2ohms bridged, but 2ohms stereo is 700Watts.

10. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Quad, all he asked for was a power amp under $350. Nothing was said about a preamp. Maybe he already has one?

Maybe he wants a rack instead of a head?

Heck, I'm just trying to help.

:)

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Whoa...easy there big boy.

Options is options. If he doesn't want to do addition that's his call.

Joe.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
  13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Its all cool. I just read it differently.

I personally think one channel at 800 watts at 2 ohms sounds a whole bunch different than two channels at 400 watts 4 ohms. But that's just me . . . . :smug:

14. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Well, hmm. Possibly, I guess. I really don't know.

How do you figure? Difference in damping factor? If we're talking about two cabs (identical) they are each getting 400w anyway. How do you mean?

Joe.

15. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I don't see much on this list - other than the Peavey Max 450 which has a street of $439...

16. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Try Steelsound, in Colorado. Their Legion Sound power amps are cheap and very good quality. And will handle 2 ohms.

17. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Nobody flame me for this but Behringer europower 1500 / 2500 amps will work for him - they both can be had for under 300.00 new.

18. rcboals

rcboals

Apr 27, 2005
    Peavey Firebass 700 700 watts at 2 ohms all night long. Less than $300.00 used

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Unless you hook up two 4 ohm cabinets to each channel. Man, I wouldn't want to be standing in front of that rig without ear plugs. :D

20. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    If it's just a problem of two 4 ohm cabs - look for an old school acoustic control corp head. 270, 370, 470 -great loud heads rated for 2 ohm loads.

Plus they're old school. John Paul Jones. Hells yeah.