Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poweramp Through a Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Piezoman, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    In an attempt to I believe conserve some money. I was thinking about possibly running a power amp through my workingmans 40004 head. I like the tone it gives me. Nothing great, but it does well enough.

The thing is, can that be done? I was thinking of running an Crown PA throught it(Im not sure the model but something of around 1200 watts) through the head and my avatar B410 Pro.

Would this be a good setup/work? Or am I better off saving up for a cheap pre-amp(Sansamp RBI) and selling the workingmans head alotgether.

2. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I am not familiar with that particular head, but in theory there should be no problem.

I was using my Eden WT400 as a preamp driving a poweramp and speaker setup for about a year and it worked and sounded great. I switched it up so I could get the Eden out of the rack and use it for more portable purposes.

IMPORTANT:
    The main thing, so you don't damage either of the amps, is making sure you are driving the poweramp from the right place on your head. This may be the effects out, it may be the DI, or may be something different - in the case of the Eden, they actually recommended using the headphone jack, which I did.
    Check the manual, if that doesn't help, contact their customer service. I'd be shocked if that is not a question they get fairly regularly.

3. This idea is fine and has been done many times before. You can tap into the preamp of your head with a pre-out, effects send, or DI-out jack. Simply connect the output of choice to the input of your power amp.

I used to do this with an Ampeg B2r and a QSC power amp with good results.

The only downside is the extra weight you will have to carry. That may be the reason for selling your head and buying a dedicated preamp but there is no right answer here.

4. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    The Slots I see say Balanced D.I., Tuner Out, And 2 Paralell jacks in the back that go to the cabs. Where would I hook the power amp upto?

5. Of those choices use the Balanced DI. Are the parallell jacks your speaker jacks? Don't use speaker jacks under any circumstances. You will fry your power amp!

6. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    +1000!!!

7. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Can you describe these jacks please? I dont know much about this stuff.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    take another look at the back of your head. i bet you have an effects loop with effects send and effects return jacks. in that case you can use the effetcs send jack to send a signal to your poweramp.

9. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Good call, so I'd plug the PA into the effects send I guess? Thanks a ton guys.

10. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    It might be a good idea, buy a Stewart power amp if you could find a good price one, and slip it in the 1u rack space in your Workingman's head.

11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    You want to what?

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE YOU TO RUN A POWER AMP THROUGH A HEAD!!!

But by everyone else's calm responses you must mean to run your preamp out on your head through the power amp into the speakers.

Uh...right?

(I just thought I'd clear that up for any newbies who might get the wrong idea)

:confused:

Joe.

12. Yes you can run a head into a power amp........not the other way around.

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1000

i was going to say that myself, but reading the posts i figured that the thread title was a misnomer.

having read the response to my post where the original poster says "... so I'd plug the PA into the effects send I guess? " I ghet the impression that they tend to state things backwards (most of us would say plug the effects send of the amp into the poweramp's inputs - tending to express the connections in terms of signal flow direction, and emphasizing that you'd plug into the inputs of the Power amp, making sure that one wouldnt accidentally plug the incoming signal into the poweramp's spearker outputs)

;)