Poweramp, which one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ingmar, Nov 11, 2002.

1. ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    Looking at the following:

Mackie M 1400 (850€, 16.3kg, 2x500w/4Ohm)
    QSC RMX 1450 (645€, 18.2kg, 2x450w/4Ohm))
    QSC PLX 1602 (990€, 9.5kg, 2x500w/4Ohm)
    Crown CE 2000 (1000€, 18kg, 2x660w/4Ohm)

Anyone using the Mackie, or did you get a chance to compare the PLX and the RMX series (keeping in mind the big price difference)?

Or should I just get an EBS Fafner (400w/4Ohms) Head?

Thanks !!
  2. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    You might also look at the QSC RMX 1850HD. I have one and I love it! The big advantage is that it is designed to drive 2 ohm loads all day and night. It's rated at 2x600W/4 Ohm, 2x900W/2 ohm. It's right about 20 kg (45 lbs for those of us in backwards nations).

It should be about the same price as the Mackie, maybe less.

By all accounts, the PLX line is better sounding than the RMX, but I doubt the difference is significant.
  3. In the band I'm working with at this present moment, we use a combination of Crown K-2s' a QSC PLX something or other and a QSC USA 1310. The QSC's and the Crowns are both bridged into 4 ohms. The QSC get hot and shut down from time to time. The Crowns' never even get warm!:D
  4. Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Save some money and check out the Yamaha CP2000. 2000 watts, can be found for under $550.
  5. I've heard from a repair tech whom I respect, that these were one of the best amps around.
  6. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Carver Pro ZR 1600. A fellow bassist friend is very stoked over his new Glock Art preamp, AccuGroove, ZR 1600, setup. Formerly a QSC PLX user.

7. ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    Carvin is hard to get in France. (and getting an amp is becoming urgent as I am headless (chicken) since yesterday :eek:!

Regarding the Yamaha CP-2000, I had looked at it before and it does sound interesting at around 650€ (excellent price/watt/weight ratio), but the THD seems quite high (0.2%) and typical rise time specs are nowhere to be found!

I'm going to check out an older (1999) Fafner head this evening, asking price is 750€ and I'll see if I can bargain a bit. The reviews I read highly praise this amp, we shall see ...
  8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I sure love the sound of those Fafner's. But a power amp and pre would give you a lot more flexibility.

I've been really happy with my PLX2402 an my PLX1602. Never had a problem at all. My back appreciates the lighter weight.
  9. flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Hi ingmar .

Fraid I can't comment on the amps you listed but ...

Can you get hold of Laney in France? If so I would recommend auditioning a Laney B1. You can run it bridged 1500W @ 4 Ohms or 2 x 550W @ 4 Ohms in either dual channel or bi-amp mode ( Xover at 150 Hz in bi-amp mode). It seems to fit the sort of power band you are looking at.

I own one and have been really pleased with it. There is a review of the amp in Bass Player Dec 01 issue and also details of it on the Laney web site - http://www.laney.co.uk/html/News/bseries/bmain.htm .

I paid 550 sterling for mine which at the last rate of exchange I was aware of would be about 920 Euros.
  10. ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    Hi Flacko,

The B1 sounds sweet, but I would be concerned with resale as Laney is not too reputed (is that a word?:p ) in France ... It would be a "blind" buy, didn't see any demo units anywhere.

Jerry J,

I agree the PLX's weight is tempting ...

The Fafner is 11kg/24lbs so not too monstrous either, actually lighter than a PLX + preamp combo... I'll tell you what my ears think tonight!
  11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm very interested to hear of the outcome of your listening test. I've got a Fafner on my list to get by next summer.
  12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I'd stay away from the Crown CE series, especially considering that price. My friend has a Crown CE1000 he runs in his PA and it's always giving him trouble. He tried to bridge it into 4 ohms and it didn't work. And now channel 2 craps out all the time.
  13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I have had a PLX1602 for about 2 months now. No problems and it sounds great
  14. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Carvin amps SUCK. Overpriced and over-spec'd.

Get QSC - they rule. Stewart too, but I feel QSC has a truer sound.
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

16. No need to shy, tell us what you think.:rolleyes:
  17. Hmmmm....

If you'll be packing it in and out of the club every weekend, get the "light one", the PLX. QSC's have been good to us (we use 3 in our PA - an MX2000, an MX1500, and a PLX3002).

18. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I use the Mackie 1400i. It works very well for me -- it's reliable and it's got a lot of power. You can download the well written manual from Mackie to get all the specs. I didn't compare it w/ anything else because I got a good deal on a used one.

It is heavy. When I get a new poweramp, I don't think it will be because my Mackie fails. It will be because I'm tired of lugging it around. My longterm GAS is for a 1 spacer -- Stewart and Peavey make them, I'm not sure who else.
  19. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Gotta watch those one space amps. Prone to thermal shut down, especially if you play rock. Go with the two space Stewart World 1.6 or 2.1. Still fairly small and light but with tons-o-power.

20. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I agree! The Stewart's are great sounding amps! I would go with the 1.6 or 2.1 also (they are 2U units and have a cooling fan. I hear great things about the QSC amps too. I'd stay away from the Mackie 1400i. It is a great sounding amp but the starting current is extremley high! I used one for a while and at least every other gig we played the amp tripped the house breaker at start up. I talked to others that owned the Mackie's and several stated the same problem. The Stewart has a time delay relay at start-up and requires very little start up current.:)