Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Feb 14, 2001.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I found a used EBS EP800 poweramp at a verrrry good price today. I know nothing about it. EBS are good at making bassgear so is this good to?
    What should I think about when getting a poweramp?
    800W at that price is tempting. Help me out here.

I´m going to use it with ither an Ashdown or Alembic preamp.
  2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm sorry that I can't say anything about the EBS power amp but I've been talking to the folks at BassNW, who is an EBS dealer. They really seem to like the Ashdown power amps. The only other one that they seem to like is the Stewart World 1.6.
  3. Hi Jock!
    I bought a EBS EP-800 for about 2 years ago, and I'm totally satisfied with it! It sounds great with my EBS-1v2 preamp! You've got 2x400W under the hood so you can play it pretty loud.
    If you're looking for a powerful poweramp, IMO you can't go wrong with this one!
    Good luck!
  4. camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    nothing against bassnw, but I think that's the only brands they carry. They might be a little biased on the subject. I don't think EBS puts out anything that isn't any good, they are just expensive...but quality. If the price is that good, I would try it out.
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hej Andreas. (Låter svenskt precis som jock(e).)
    Can you tell me something more about the amp?
    Specs. How many watts does it give bridged into one 8 ohm cab? What cabs do you use?
  6. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    By the way they want about $500 and that seems to be a good price. It costs $1500 new.
  7. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN

That's a tube power amp, right? Does it weigh a ton? Also, I'd love to know anything you can tell me about that 1V2 preamp. I'm quite familiar with its features, but how hard is it to get a good sound on the fly? And what other preamps does its sound come close to?

8. Tjena Jocke! (Är också svensk men skriver på engelska så de andra förstår.)
    The EP-800 poweramp (which doesn't have any tube at all) gives you 2x400W (4ohm) and 800W bridged (8ohm). I'm using 2 EBS-cabs (4x10" and 1x15", 4ohm each) and it sounds very good. The EP-800 is not made anymore, but the new EPX-800 is. I don't know the difference but I've heard that it has something called an accelorator. Read more about it on the EBS-site:

The EBS 1v2 sounds pretty hitech. Almost like Eden (but no tube) but a more flat EQcurve in bypass mode. It suits me very well, 'cause you can EQ the sound however you want. I started out with the sound settings in the manual and moved on from that. The preamp has a very clean sound with no distortion at all, so when I want a more rock/metal sound I use my SansAmp BassDriver with it to get good distortion. I totally satisfied with it.

9. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Wait a minute...I thought the EBS 1V2 had a 12AX or whatever it is tube at the end of the signal chain, so you can dial in "grind". Anyway, what I really want to know is how well do those "boost only" tone controls work.

As for Bass NW, from what I've seen, they have a knowledgeable staff and access to thousands of brands. But it has been mentioned here before that stores push some brands more than others, due to their relationships with particular manufacturers.

I mean come on, there are hundreds (or tens at least) of quality power amps. If they have a favorite, that's fine. But they can't expect you to believe that QSC, Crown, Crest, etc. are garbage. Nor can I imagine that they don't deal any of those brands.
  10. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Actually, I have found BassNW to be very even-handed in their amp recommendations. In a recent phone conversation with Gabriel (employee), he actually suggested I look into QSC amps, which they don't carry, for my purposes.
  11. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    My understanding is that EBS offers only one product with a tube - the Fafner (one tube).