Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cobrasneverdie, Jun 21, 2003.

1. i was looking at some power amps but i noticed alot of them DONT have 1/4th outputs on them. how would i hook up a cabenet to the poweramp?

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If your cabinet has only 1/4" jacks, you will need a cable with a 1/4" plug on one end, and either banana plugs or a Speakon connector at the amp end. I'm guessing that those are the types of connectors you're finding on the bacl of the amps. You can buy these cables or make them yourself. If you're unsure, ask someone at your local shop, or find another musician to help you out.

JD

3. banana plugs?

4. You can get the cables you'll need from ANY music sctore. A "bananna" jack is the red and black posts on the back of a lot of amps (sometimes they double as binding posts for bare wires). The "bananna" jack is a superior method of transfering signal to the speakers vs. 1/4". Get the highest quality of cable you can afford.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hi cnd,

All you need is a decent piece of two-conductor stranded copper wire with appropriate connectors on each end.

Most pro power amp manufacturers have stopped using 1/4" output connectors because in several ways they are not well suited for high-power usage. You'll mostly see binding posts (which accept stripped wire ends and usually also banana plugs and spade connectors) and Speakon jacks (which accept Speakon connectors).

If you make your own, you can expect to pay about 25 to 35 cents (USD) per foot for good-quality 16, 14, or 12-gauge, two-conductor wire. Connectors run about $2 to $7 each for 1/4" plugs, $2 to $4 each for dual banana plugs, and about $4 to $8 each for Neutrik NL4FC Speakon connectors. You can see that for a short bass rig cable, the connectors constitute most of the cost.

If you buy a pre-made cable, expect to pay maybe three to four times what it would cost to make your own, at least.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Had the same thing going on with my QSC amp/ Eden speakers.

I had two, 10 gauge, ProCo's with 1/4" jacks on both ends of each cable. The QSC amp wouldn't take the 1/4"ers but the Eden cabs accepted them.

So, I took the ProCo cables to a local music store and had Speakons installed on one end of each ProCo cable. Total cost was $27. At first, the tech at the store wasn't even sure the Speakons would fit on such thick cable. But, but it all worked out in the end.