Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poweramps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    What would be a affordable poweramp that would be able to run a SansAmp PSA-1?

2. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Another question...

Does it matter what your using the power amp for? Like would a Marshall Poweramp be usefull for a bass rig? I'm just using Marshall as an example.

Are some Poweramps made especially for guitar or bass???

3. I think a power amp is a power amp is a power amp, no matter what you are using it for.

How much power do you need? I think Carvin makes good power amplifiers for good value. I have never actually heard one, I am just thinking they are good because they have a lotta watt for the $. Rated good by Bass Player too.

4. remember bass freqs require the most power though ....

5. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Does anything with the Poweramp and Preamp have to match?

Like with a head and cabs, theirs the ohm. Is their anything like that with Poweramp's and Preamp's???

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The output level of the preamp should match the input level of the poweramp, but these levels are pretty standardized so you don't really have to worry about it when considering preamps and poweramps.

7. Well, I guess I wouldn't worry about my preamp as much as what I am trying to drive with the power amp at this point. What kind of rig are you thinking of putting together underneath this SansAmp? How many watts are you thinking of? I know Carvin makes a good amp for the money, and Crest and SWR both make some powerful and good sounding amps (but you'll pay a tad more). Personally, I would figure out what I would be driving with it before I would make any decisions on what to buy. Hope things go well for ya.
    Peace,
    -Nate

8. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Well I was thinking:

Sansamp PSA-1 Preamp
    QSC PLX1202 Poweramp (200 watts at 8 ohm's)
    Ampeg SVT-410HE Cab (has an 8 ohm impedence)

But i'm not sure if that poweramp can be used with the SVT-410HE.

9. Don't know why that wouldn't work for ya. Just make sure that if you run more than the Ampeg cabnet, that your not running a load, that the QSC can't handle. The new Ampeg cabnets have both Speakon and 1/4 inch connectors, so it should be just fine with the QSC. All in all, it sounds like your set.
    -Nate

10. I don't agree with the "A power amp's a powr amp......"
    I believe some lend themselves better to bass.
    The QSC for example: I had a 2402. It's a big amp. It uss a switching power supply (Power Wave technology). The power supply kicks in when needed in stages. This makes the sound suffer more, with heavy demands, thanan amp with regular or toroidal transformers. It's my experience with bass you need transformers. The bigger, the better. The trouble is bigger weighs a lot. I made a compromise. I got the Eden WT1000 (about $750.) This weighs 28 lbs, has toroidal transformer, It also has separate volume AND tone controls.
    Once again--- spec wise, an amp can be identical, but one can sound more musical than the other. Try before you buy. Good luck.

11. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Rock:

Your post about your QSC experience made me realize just how subjective we all hear differently, or maybe it's just a matter of tast.

I've read many of your posts in the past and it's clear you have a solid knowledge of many of the subjects disscussed here. I totaly respect your assesment of the QSC.

What's funny to me is that I had an exactly opposite experience. My goal was to power a 4 ohm 2-10" and an 8 ohm 1-18" Bag End subwoofer. I started with the Eden Navigator/WT1000 combo and everything sounded fine to my inexperienced ear. A fellow player dropped by with a new 2402 and the difference in the subwoofer response was very apparent, overall the sound is brighter with more top to bottom definition. The load the ELF system places on the amp is substantial.

Just recently I sent the preamp to Eden for repair and was driving the system with a Raven PHA-1 Preamp. While the PHA-1 is a fine little devise it doesn't drive the amp near as well as the Navigator and produced some of the sound you described for the QSC.

12. Thanks, that was a very nice compliment.
    I'm sure one of the issues with the QSC wa that in a high power draw (My bass and guitar player) in the same circut, plus the less than perfect voltages in night clubs, was more effected than the Eden amp because of the switching power supply. I Just love the responsiveness of my Bassman 135 and Ampeg V-4, but they don't deliver the volume needed. Both these amps have large power supply and output transformers. I believe in "Big iron, Big Punch"
    However, I have heard QSC amps for disco & PA, and they were fine. Maybe I'm over sensitive?

It's all just a quest for the holy grail. Thanks, Bob