Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

powerbook and realtime software effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by anastasio24, Apr 20, 2005.

1. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    I am very interested in somehow running a bass through my powerbook and then using software (like Ableton Live 4.0 running Spectrasonics Trilogy VST plug-in) for effects. I understand that I may have to put something like a GK-2B pickup on the bass to do this.

Has anyone done this with low latency for live performances? I would really like to do this but I don't want to drop all that cash and have it not work.

Any suggestions good or bad are welcomed.

Thanks!

Brian

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    You would have to have a midi pickup to trigger a vst like trilogy as it's a synth and not really a real time effect. You could use something like native instruments guitar rig for real time effects.

I'm not sure how the latency is on powerbooks. The imacs I use at school for recording have good latency though. The main thing is getting a good audio interface, you wouldn't want to plug into the 1/8" mic input or whatever is on a powerbook.