Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

powerd mixer usage as bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Jan 21, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    all right my band bought a powerd mixer for the pa.
    350 watts at 4 ohms. it is a crate blah, etc.
    i have been using as the bass amp also. i just plug it into my cab. then vocals.
    the amp limits at very low volume when we are both playing.bad? is it going to happen with only vocals?
    also after i turn the master volume past 6 it gets a really loud hum. you can play over it and have no problem. it is the amp tho'. it actually sounds like the amp clicks when this happens. what could this be? it also jumps in volume alot when this happens.

and are vocals going to be louder thro'. pa speakers rather than a bass cab?

i do have my new head on order just waiting for to get here. workingmans 4004.

steve

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    The reason the amp limits at low volumes is because you're running your bass through it. Bass uses far more power than vocals.

Definitely get a pair of PA speakers, which will sound a million times better than a (tweeterless) bass cab for vocals. Get some stands for them as well.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Looks like your powered mixer has a built in limiter. Your bass signal is so hot, the limiter is kicking in to stop you blowing up the speaker.

Pad the bass signal somehow. The mixer should have a "gain" knob for each channel. Turn that knob down on the bass channel. If that still isn't enough padding, each chanel should have a either a -20db pad, of a button that says somehting like "mic/Line". Both of those will pad the bass signal.

4. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Wait for your bass head to arrive, then don't worry about using the PA. ;)