1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Powered Extension vs 2 Combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kbakerde, Jul 30, 2012.

1. kbakerde

kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Hello Talkbass,
    Background, I have been playing bass for about a dozen years (I said I played, I didn't say I played well) and it has come time for a new amp. I am not looking for the moon, this will mostly be something for me to play by myself, but I would like a quality piece of equipment that could handle playing with others and possibly more, so I have it narrowed to the TC Electronic BG250 and the GK MB115.

That leads me to my question. I am not asking about which sounds better, that I can handle. However, the GK Mark 2 series will offer the Powered Cabinets which TC Electronic will not have. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to an MBP setup vs buying two identical combos and using an A/B/Y switch (ie the Morely Quad Box) to use both combos at the same time.

I would love to know if anyone has had experience with using either setup, and how you liked it in the end. Thanks all.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I would suggest you find a combo amp, (if that's what you want), that is capable of adding an ext spkr. NOT a powered spkr, just a plain old spkr cab. Plenty of good options in this field. If I were to use a combo amp, it would be a MUST for me.

3. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    2 combos will require you to turn the volume up or down on 2 amps if you want to change volume. The powered extension cabinet will be cheaper than a combo and will be slaved to the controls on the combo. On the flip side if you have two combos, you can mess around with stereo effects, which an be a lot of fun at home. I never had to use them in a band setting, but some delays and modulation effects sound really cool in stereo. Also if you have 2 combos and do get into a band, you can leave one in the practice space and one at home and bring both to big gigs.

my 2 cents

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I don't think you should go for two combo amps. I think a decent 210 and a micro head of some sort would give the volume you need for group settings along with a great tone to work with by yourself. Buying two combo amps, in my opinion, is a waste of money. A 5 lb micro head, 50lb 210, and boom! You can be heard in a band setting (maybe not in an extreme metal band though...). Want a tone change or more volume? Trade/sell your cab for something better.

5. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    While you mentioned you werent asking for opinions on sound I will offer an opinion for what its worth,,,,, I owned the BG250 and the GK MB115,,,, the BG250 is cool for the tuner and the tone print,,, but as far as sound and tone the GK MB115 beats the BG250 big time !!!!

The BG250 just sounded too muddy.

I have a GK MB115 series ll on pre-order and plan on getting the MBP115 as soon as its released as well.

As far as how good or great the MB115 w/ MBP115 will sound, of course no one knows yet and we wont know until they ship,,,,, but I have high hopes for being very impressed.

Cheers
    Davyo

6. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    Hey Daveyo

Your MB212 is still going strong. I lined it with mattress topper and reduced the port area to ~ 1/2 of the original with rigid foam that has a big flare on both sides to lower the tuning frequency of the cab. It has great mids and tighter bass now. Awesome combo!! I played at an out door gig with a medium volume rock band and it kept up without a PA, trying to sell my 1001RBII and 2 410mbe cabs now

7. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Hey Marcus,,,,,, great to hear the MB212 is still serving you well and to hear the mods you did made the MB212 even more to your liking.

Some times I do regret selling that MB212 but I feel good knowing it has a warm and loving home.

And wow,,, Im guessing your selling off the MBE410 cuz you like the 2x12's better ?

I still have my MB210, MBE115, MB112, MB200 and MB500,,,,I have the MB115 ll and a MB410 on pre-order, but Im thinking about cancelling the MB410 order and instead getting the MBP115 to mate up with the MB115 chain out,,,, Im really liking 15's at this moment in time.

Cheers
    Davyo

8. gmarcus

Apr 4, 2003
    The 410 mbe's actually sound better and tighter in a band mix, but the mb212 is good enough. So I just don't need the big cabinets and head for what I do.

9. GK 700RB/112 sitting on top of a GK 1001RB/210 (- the 1001RB...blew it up) = extension 4 ohm crush... love it!