1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Powered Kemper gigging experience wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MartLTB, Nov 22, 2018.

1. MartLTB

MartLTB

May 17, 2014
    Germany
    Hello, after borrowing one from a friend for a rehearsal I'm seriously tempted by the Kemper profiler as for me it was the closest I've come to the sound of an all tube head without breaking my back and I also loved the versatility of having (almost) everything in one unit. As I play a lot at home with headphones and also pick up the guitar regularly for songwriting I can somehow justify the pricetag, but I am a bit worried about using it for gigs.

I'm looking at the powered (rack) version and I was wondering if anybody here is using one of those for regular gigging and can share some experience. I know it works great for DI with in-ear monitoring but we play a fair amount of shows where I have to rely on my amp and cab for monitoring and I'm not sure how the built in poweramp will perform for bass in terms of volume/punch and just cutting through in general. I know it will depend a lot on the cab, still on the lookout there but I will most likely get a rather linear sounding bass cab that can still be used with classic amps instead of a FRFR.

2. rsint

rsint

Mar 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Subscribing to this. Been wondering the same since I got my Barefaced BT2

3. I was all set to jump on the Powered Kemper for live use, until I realized it's only good down to 8 ohms.

4. I know it’s not Kemper, but I’ve been gigging for about 8 months with helix into a power amp and 1x12 or 4x12 on guitar. When I decided to also go into bass again I was testing the same rig with the bass models and it sounded killer, but obviously I’d need a bigger amp and different speakers for live with band. Almost went that route but tried the new Fender Rumble stage 800 since it’s basically the same thing, modeler with effects, but in a 2x10 combo under 40 pounds.

Sooo glad I got it! Sounds amazing and super easy to transport, quick setup.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Spyrosaab likes this.
  5. MartLTB

MartLTB

May 17, 2014
    Germany
    I can see that being an issue if you already have a 4ohms cab you want to keep using but for me it doesn't matter that much to be honest if the poweramp is powerful enough. I have an 8ohms cab right now which was always more than loud enough for me even with lower powered amps like an svt3. If it comes to having to use a 4ohms cab I'd trust the Kemper people as they claim it safe for being used with 4ohms unless you crank it to its full 600w where it apparently shuts down for a couple seconds and if it is easily possible to reach this limit it probably wouldnt be much use at 8 ohms either.

Thanks for the insights. I have never used a Helix or a newer Rumble but I tried some other modellers and so far only the Kemper came close to the feeling of playing an actual all tube amp. As I don't want a combo and would need some additional poweramp with the Helix those wouldn't be options for me though.

hamiltonb likes this.
  6. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    There are a few threads on the Kemper forum that say it can be used at 4ohms if it isn’t pushed to hard.

7. MartLTB

MartLTB

May 17, 2014
    Germany
    It's even in their manual, so we have at least this cleared up ;) Looks like I have to just try it out for myself for live usage though. Luckily I can just return it in case it doesn't work out for me.

Waltsdog likes this.
  8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

If you are going to a rack version, just get the Profiler pre amp version and get a rack power amp that is more versatile than the built in amp.

MartLTB likes this.
  9. MartLTB

MartLTB

May 17, 2014
    Germany
    Can you elaborate on that? You can obviously get a more powerful poweramp and one that does 4ohms without mentioned limitations but those wouldn't be issues for me and I really like the idea of having everything in one device and I also already have a rack I'd like to keep that won't fit an external poweramp ;)

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Just a thought. I don't have experience with Kemper, so just short of trying it live yourself, you've got your solution. If it were me, and did not have any other rack needs, I'd just get the Profiler "head' version. You didn't state the reason for the rack version.

MartLTB likes this.
  11. MartLTB

MartLTB

May 17, 2014
    Germany
    Cheers, I get what you meant now. Guess I'll try the Kemper forums for some more advice but yea, nothing short of trying it myself will really solve my issue. Might look for a B-Stock so I don't feel to bad if I have to send it back in case the poweramp doesn't deliver..

12. Yes. And if the amp temporarily shutting down mid song is acceptable then go for it.

It just doesn't work for me.

13. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    When I was preamp shopping (kemper/fractal/helix) I thought about this option, but ended up with powered cabinets instead. Made more sense for the gigs I do, and less worry about things operating out of their comfort zone