Powered Mixer amps and Impedence

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LordBaryon, May 3, 2019.

1. LordBaryon

LordBaryon

May 3, 2019
    So I just recently got a Behringer EUROPOWER PMP2000D powered mixer and two 115 acoustic bass cabinets. I've seen advertised where its a 2000w(4ohm min.) amp but I have seen is described as a 2 X 1000w amp thus I think there's two amps inside.

As I searched around I saw there is three power options to choose.
    1. Main L/Main R
    2. Monitor/Mono
    3. Bridge/Bridge

I assume Main L/Main R is one amp output A the other B correct? to run a left speaker and a right speaker thus my two 115's I have.

But if I put it on Monitor/Mono then both amps would run at 1000w separately with a minimum impedance of 4 ohms correct?

Therefore I should be able run my two acoustic cabs with one daisy-chained to another with a 1/4 inch chord on say Monitor and run another pair of 115's I have(Peavey 115h; 150W) on the Mono side.

and if there wattage is okay with 1000w and impedance 4ohms all should be good correct. or is monitor/mono not for that.

2. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Yes, it's a stereo amp basically. I can't see it makes a lot of difference whether you run L/R or monitor/main. The difference seems to be in signal routing before the power amp stage. Either way you can run 2 8ohm cabs each side.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Note that the stated power is not based on RMS metrics when considering the speakers you plan to use.

There is no difference power-wise between the two modes, 1000W/chan (peak) at 4 ohms or ~ 500W/chan (peak) at 8 ohms. This equated to roughly 1/2 that amount in RMS units.

Otherwise, if the stated power was based on RMS, it would be quite easy to damage your speakers. It's still possible, but not as likely.

4. Make sure that you are using Speaker Cable and Not Shielded Instrument Cable when hooking up to Speakers.
    Though they look the same on the outside they are very different inside.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, those are "behringer watts" (probably measured for a fraction of a second at 1kHz with 10% distortion :rolleyes:)

that thing's probably 400 "real" watts per side or something. also, since you can't run more than one cab if you bridge it, you're likely getting 200w per speaker cab if your lucky.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Correct, you DON'T want to bridge the amp into your load.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021