Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

powered mixer+cabs for vocals

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Berten, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Hi,

My band wants to buy a powered mixer and two speakers to amplify the vocals (1 singer, 1 backing). What do we need?? 2*100watt enough or do we need more?? Any good brands???
    We don't want to spend a lot of money, but we want something thats loud enough. We play with 1 guitarplayer (100 watt (tube) halfstack) and one bassplayer (350watt fullstack (410+115) and one drummer.

Thanks!

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Berten, I think 2x100 would be underpowered. You will probably want monitors. One band I was in used a 2x200 watt powered mixer, with one side going for the monitors. It was very underpowered, but got us by.

Carvin makes a 1000-watt powered mixer with 3 amps, so you can use one for monitors and run to mains in stereo. That would be good for the kind of gigs I usually play.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    yep I agree. 100w guitar amps are darn loud. And there's something really amature about watching a band who'se vocals are being burried by the instruments.

I'd also go for at least 1000w. If you can't afford that, wait till you can. Or maybe hire a PA as you need it instead of buying one.

Actually I notice Behringer have started making budget PA's. Could be worth a look?

4. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Sorry, but I think it didn't explane it good enough.
    We are just looking for something we could use for rehearsel only. We don't need amplification we can gig with!!

But, already thanks to the people who replied.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Do you guys rehearse any quieter that you gig? Most bands don't.

6. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium

When we rehearse, there only 4 people who have to hear the vocals (the people of the band). When we gig, there a lot more. We just need an amp and speakers so the singer can hear himself. Rightnow we use an old guitaramp(65watt) with my old bassamp underneed (100watt) and the vocals are 'hearable', but the guitarplayer is planning on selling his guitaramp, and I will sell the bassamp, so we need something new!