Powered mixer recommendations?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Max, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Hey everybody. I am looking for an eight channel powered mixer, stereo, with 300 to 600 wats per side. Anybody have recommendations? The Yamahas are reasonably priced but I have not had any experience with them. Mackies? Thoughts? Thank you.
  2. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA

We used the Mackie 808 S for rehearsal and gigging with great results. It has 8 channels, I forget how many watts, but sounds excellent.

Two drawbacks are that there is only one monitor mix and in hot rooms it overheated. A little plastic fan clipped to a table solved the latter issue, however.

For the great sound and its extreme portability and relative light weight, it gets my vote as best PA for the working band.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I like the older (2002, I think) Carvin 8 channel powered mixer we had. Might be a little low for wattage for you though.
  4. For the past 1 1/2 year I am using the Carvin PA 1000 (I think :D ). It has 8 channels and three integrated power amps at 400 Watts RMS each, 2 for the mains and one independent for the monitors. That thing sounds excellent, is a work horse (we're gigging ~ 12-15 times per month), VERY affordable and compact. You should check it out it's worth it.

By the way, that thing PUMPS.
  5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Thank you for the replies. I looked at the Mackie, Yamaha and Carvins. I pushed for the Carvin. They had an in-store special at Carvin for the 1000 watt model and I was wanting that one. We have Carvin monitors that have given us trouble so I was outvoted. We ended up going with the Mackie 808S and in my search, I came upon BPMmusic.com out of Colorado. We are getting the Mackie, new, shipped out the door for $729.00 which beat Musicians Fiends, GC, Sam Ash etc. by $100.00. Looking forward to a new mixer with effects. Heaven knows our vocals need them! :rolleyes:
  6. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    ditto! All the way down to the fan.