Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Powered Mixers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by therealting, May 8, 2004.

1. I have been looking for an Acoustic Image amp for bass, or acoustic guitar and vocals (the new Focus series sounds excellent) - and someone asked me why I didn't just get a decent powered mixer / small PA system.

Has anyone tried these? Something like these:

http://www.behringer.com/PMX1000/index.cfm?lang=ENG
    http://www.mackie.com/products/406m/

Weight and portability are major concerns for me as I live in London and use public transport to get to and from gigs. These are obviously a little bigger and heavier than the Acoustic Image amps (and Walter Woods), but they are still lighter than any other bass amps and in return you get more channels (very useful), more power/headroom on tap, effects, and a little more money left in your pocket!

I will be using them with my full-range ultralight Flite Sound cab.

Any opinions?

2. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    I have a TOA MX-601 powered mixer that I've used like that more than a few times when my bass head was down. I've run the bass only through the front end with everything else, no problems, but in fairly small rooms where I can get my ears out onto the front to hear it.

Also used it to power my 410 only for some gigs where there was house PA. That worked fine too. Actually, my SWR was down for a couple years and that's all I had and got quite used to it. Had to run a DI in front of the head to get into the house.

There's a lot of features on a bass head that won't be on a powered board, but if you like the straight clean sound of your guitar it'll be fine. My head is back in business now and I rather like using it more, but still run bass into the head & monitors.

All in all I use the PA head in more suitations than the bass amp and am glad I have both.

3. Thanks for the reply - the information is helpful. I will have to look into one of these as a possibility, I already have a bass head so this will make a nice, flexible and lightweight alternative that won't clean me out like an Acoustic Image would.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I would disagree that the Mackie is lighter than "other" bass heads. I fact they are pretty darn big and heavy (I've used one for PA)...if using public transport I wouldn't want to use one instead of a bass amp. The Behringer maybe.

5. Brian, you're probably right on that one. The compact powered-mixers like the Behringer look cool because you can probably slip it in a bag and carry it on your shoulder or back. I will definitely check the weight before buying.

If only Acoustic Image made 4-channel amps! :)

6. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    i have a powered mixer (Peavey XR560) and it can sub for my bass head in a pinch.