1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Powered monitor recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I Am looking for recommendations for powered monitors that I will be using in an amp less rig. It needs to be solid enough to handle the band mix as well as my bass.

I'm not looking for a debate about amped or ampless rigs. Merely solid recommendations from fellow TBers. Thanks.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    PM sent.

3. Gigged for several years going ampless on stage, everyone through the monitors. Band consisted of various keys, Cajun style accordian, electric/acoustic guitar, drums, bass and all 5 of us singing.

We used 4 powered JBL Eon 15's (the wedge style) on stage with 2 more and powered subs out front. Never had a problem hearing myself although I do admit our drummer wasn't really heavy handed. We ran the mix to the mains and 4 subgroups on the mixer, but kept the subs out of the main mix. That way we could control the volume level of each monitor to taste without affecting anything out front. Each monitor had its own 31 band EQ. Set up this way we knew exactly where we were individually because it was in fact the main mix we were listening to.

One of my side projects has a set of the new JBL Eon 15's but they aren't the wedge style. These are a lot lighter (half the weight) don't put out the same power but half the price of the wedge style.

4. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification
    I have used a JBL powered monitors with pretty good results.You might also think about your own personal IEM.Before we switched the whole band to them I was experimenting with it.I bought a small mixing board and had the soundman send my monitor mix to my board.I would split my bass and vocal signals between my board and soundman.Actually worked pretty good.I had control of my bass and vocal,and would bleed in as much of the rest of the band as I needed.

5. I ran a QSC K12 the other week with my Line 6 Bass Pod as a pre... Sounded pretty damn good.

6. Hi.

I'd say it'll be hard to avoid that, even today when more and more people are aware of the undisputed benefits of that approach.

That said, I've used my SWR WM10 on a stand for that purpose.
    Not too great for other than MI amplification though. Depending on the EQ structures, the vocals sound from funny to unbearable.

Back in the day when I finally got to choose what to use, and decided to run ampless on my biggest gig to date, I used the houses DB wedges.

One thing to always keep in mind though, is that the rest of the band probably needs/wants to hear the bass as well, so if their monitoring isn't up to it, our efforts for clearer sound and less cluttered stage will be in vain in the end.

In the project band I'm in, the drummer has a Behringer bass combo as a monitor, and I feed him the bass and occasionally some vocals into it.
    The guitarists hear me well enough for their tastes ;).

Regards
    Sam

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I used to play at this one church all the time and used a Mackie SRM450 quite often. It worked okay. The only negative thing I could say about it is that it sounded like a floor monitor. :D

8. JBLs, had Mackie powered monitors die in the summer heat here. 5 out of 6 went dead, one even smoked up the stage. JBLs no problem.

9. I had the opposite experience. I used both the SRM350's and SRM450's for years without fail. The thing is to look for the older versions, prefferably the one's made in Italy. The newer Chinese blue one's really were not that good.

I still stand by me QSC recommendation. You will not find a better sounding speaker for the money.

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    +1!

I have two K10s that rock pretty hard. :cool:

11. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Unless something has changed with Mackie, they have been rock solid IME. Summer heat, humidity, abusive load ins/outs, occasional rain. Never had one fail.

12. dlargent

dlargent

Aug 7, 2003
    Carrboro, NC
    Another vote for QSC K12.

I have been using mine for electric and acoustic bass, both through the Fdeck preamp.

Also used it a lot with my Nord C2 organ.

Gets purty loud!!!!

13. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Great powered monitor solution!!

14. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    What's the difference between the K12, and the KW122, besides, one is made from wood, one made from plastic ? Also, do you guys place these monitors on the floor, or on a pole ?

15. DaveyM69

DaveyM69

Jan 1, 2011
    Our band uses all Mackie powered monitors and not had a problem with them at all. 2 of them are SRM450 that were bought years ago when they first came out - never failed and still sound great. They have even been used for FOH on small gigs previously.

16. That's just it... one is wood, one is plastic. No power or speaker difference.

I used mine on the floor as a wedge.

17. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Notice any difference when laying it on it's side, as oppossed to upright ? It kinda looks like a Thunderchild !

18. PopaWoody

PopaWoody The major rager

May 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    SRM450's V1's if you can find them used. We run 2 of these for monitors, replaced a horn tweeter for $40. Parts on ebay.

19. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    RCF all the way!
    I use a ART310a and a 902as sub for bass monitoring.

They have a large palette of choices , prices , etc.....

The Serie 7 are simply amazing.

20. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I have 2 Mackie SRM 450's. They have been used both as our FOH for vocals with no problem. We have a more robust PA now so the Mackie's serve as our stage monitors, again with no problem at all.

I also have a Yorkville powered sub that we use now too. The Yorkville line is another good brand to look into if you want some powered speakers.