1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Powered Monitors, maybe mains

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mapleglo, May 11, 2018.

1. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I'm off to band rehearsal in a few hours. The guitarist just bought a pair of Behringer powered mains, 15" woofer/some kind of tweeter, and we hooked them up last night. I was not impressed.

We are a 3 piece band, guitar, bass, and drums, with a lead singer. We play pretty small venues, maybe up to 200 people, likely less. We are using the PA for vocals only, possibly using them for occasional keys in the future.

I'm wondering how much I'll have to spend to get a pair of good monitors, that we'll maybe use for mains should the BL decide the Behringers are "good enough". At the very least, I'll be able to enjoy a decent sound out of the monitors, and hear myself sing harmonies.

What kind of price range am I looking at, and what models should I be considering? Let's assume for the time being, that I can spend up to $1,500.00 for the pair. Hopefully less.

2. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I'd suggest looking for a sale on QSC K12.2's. I've been very impressed with the quality of their offerings. The older KW15's, although heavy, are some of my favorites. Very easy to get loud, quality sound from. Also, Yamaha DSR is a very good sounding box, maybe just a hair over your budget. There's good finds in lower price points, but there is a VERY noticeable jump when you get into that level of QSC/Yamaha/JBL versus more value-oriented boxes, IME.

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    +1 on the QSC. Played a recent outdoor gig with 12" powered mains and 10" powered monitors and thought the sound was very clear and effortless. Weak link was the Behringer XR16 wireless mixer. Lately I'm not inclined to go with "good enough".

mapleglo likes this.
  4. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    In my search for PA gear I read a ton of great reviews about the QSC k12’s.

I bought a few different sets of used speakers. Mackie 10” powered plastic cans that were harsh. Sold them on. I feel sorry for anybody subjected to those. I imagine the behringers are similar.

Old peavey floor towers. Too big to move and really only ok for a basement jam.

Yorkville plywood brutes. They sound great actually but are over 80 lbs each. They await use for “forest jams”.

Finally I lucked into a set of yorkville unity 15P’s. Their power and detail is just amazing. At 92lbs each they’re no lightweights either. Unfortunately tore up my shoulder heaving them around. You pay one way or another.

Band members are usually willing to pay a lot for instruments and amps so why not make a good investment on microphones and speakers for the most important thing?

The behringers may be cheap but on a lifecycle cost you probably come out even with quality gear as it lasts longer, has more resale value, but you don’t need to sell it and move up.

mapleglo likes this.
  5. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    There's a pair of EV ZLX-12P's on my local CL for $400.00.

cl ad.

Is this a worthwhile buy?

6. thekyle55

thekyle55

Mar 14, 2012
    There's nothing weak about that mixer except the built-in wireless. It's easy to mess up and make it sound bad, but the X series is leaps and bounds better than what we had a few years ago.

LiquidMidnight, s0c9 and musicman7722 like this.
  7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Can't comment on price etc in your area, but they're good speakers.

mapleglo likes this.
  8. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Exactly. The used market is very depressed right now in Calgary.

We play with EV115’s and they sound great. EV make great speakers IMO. 1000W each is great for power. 12” should sound better for vocals and higher frequencies and mids clarity. We’d probably get a better sound with 12’s than 15’s. Those should crush the behringers and be way more reliable. If they are in great condition as advertised then that’s %50 off of new price not even considering tax so yes it’s a great deal. You’ll be able to flip them again if need be.

You can use those as monitors or mains. Those together with a Soundcraft UI12/16/24 or behringer X-RAY mixer and you will be able to get amazing sound (or completely muff it up if you don’t know what you’re doing).

Add a powered 15” sub and use the crossover to cut the lows from your mains and monitors and you will have such a clear, powerful, tight sound.

Don’t scrimp on your monitors either by reasoning “they’re just monitors “. That will lead to ear fatigue, maybe more hearing damage if you’re turning them up louder to make up for lack of clarity. I prefer IEM’s.

Even as monitors the EV’s would be great. You should jump on that.

mapleglo likes this.
  9. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Just texted the guy, they have just been sold :(

There's a pair of JBL Eon's for $575. With covers.

JBL's.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Keep looking. Eons are crap...

K12’s pull around $500 a unit used in my area. I actually use one as my bass amp...

s0c9 likes this.
  11. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Good to know, thanks!

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    They're the good Eons, but keep looking. :)

mapleglo likes this.
  13. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    We use Yamaha DBR12's as mains and DBR10's as monitors. Much lower price point than QSC's but I use this setup in two different bands.

14. Yes - nothing wrong with that mixer except the 2.5 wireless. I used one for a year with a 5 ghz mac router and never dropped.

s0c9 likes this.
  15. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The mixer itself sounded good, however the unit has only been used a handful of times and already has two failed inputs. I'm not a big fan of how much scrolling you need to do to get to everything. Things got a bit weird when the iPad got low on battery. Maybe I'm showing my age, but there's nothing like having an actual knob to grab and turn when you need it.

btmpancake and mapleglo like this.
  16. thekyle55

thekyle55

Mar 14, 2012
    Sounds like you have a lemon. My X18 has hundreds of hours and dozens of shows without a single problem, and that seems to be most people's experience.

Workflow is different on a digital board. It takes some getting used to. It is honestly much easier to get up and running on an analog board, but there is so much that can be done to make the job easier right there in the board and not require a ton of rack grea and complicated routing.

17. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    We used the Eons of 1999 or 2000, they sounded like plastic. Now using Audio Centron 15" 3 ways for mains at about 80lbs per (they don't make them anymore). Everything else in our PA arsenal in Yamaha. Our monitors are 10" Yamaha's and have worked fine for 15 years .

mapleglo likes this.
  18. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Behringer 15" (and newer 12') plastic speakers have been around for 20 years now, and have been the cheapest on the market for a reason. They are (diplomatically) not very good.
    There are amazing powered cabs, easy to move, require almost no EQing, and are really loud, but unfortunately cost 4x+ what a Behringer does. Ev, QSC to name a couple. There are thousands of used JBL eons out there, but I don't recommend them to anybody, they have a funky mid hi that's damn near impossible to EQ out.

LiquidMidnight, craigie and mapleglo like this.
  19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I hear reports of failed channels on some of the lower end digital boards that appear to be the result of hot plugging or un-plugging mics or di’s when phantom power is on.
    On my ui-24 I make sure to double check, just in case... we sing on 3 condensers plus the acoustic guitar and nord stage piano are all phantom powered. So I’m careful...

If you are a knobs and faders person thinking about the XR18 or Ui board24, have a look at the iPod line demo of the Ui-24r at Soundcraft. It is the most analog style workflow of any digital board I have worked on. Also check out the Facebook ui-24r support group. ... and ignore the whining about the internal hotspot and 720p resolution on the hdmi output.

1. Always use an external router.
    2. For best results, use a tablet, a pc with touch screen or something like a Brix or Nuc driving a large touch screen ... 1080p displays robbed too much of the internal processor. Several folks are using older All-In-One units from Dell, HP, Sony and Acer that have touch screens. I’m kinda looking...

I run on iPads and an old Sony Vaio touch screen laptop and an Apple airport express. And it is rock solid. And it sounds like Soundcraft. Warm and clear. Definitely my first choice mixer when I don’t need the channel density of my SI-3.

craigie likes this.
  20. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Great info here thanks!
    I didn’t know about that phantom power issue (I have a ui12)