Powered PA cabs for double bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Andrew Jones, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Theres a teacher at berklee,his name is Dave Hollender,that speaks the praise for his Meyer (sp?) powerd PA cab I think it has a 12 inch speaker.
    Any thoughts ?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  3. FYI, the speaker I use is a Meyer UPL1. With a mike or a good pickup through a quality preamp it sounds great. It is a bi-amped full range speaker with a 10" and a tweeter.

When I started experimenting with using a mike on my upright I realized that running a mike through a traditional bass cabinet was a waste of time. Parsons Audio (they mostly do custom studio design) was delivering a pair to a demanding client in the electronic music program at Harvard, and they suggested trying it out. It is the best setup I've found to produce the detailed sound a mike provides, and still get tons of low end. It's 10" speaker actually produces more fundimental from my C extension than any 15" cabinet I've ever used. Meyer tunes each speaker at the factory, and benefit of it being self powered is that the 2 mosfet amps are talored specifically to this cabinet. They have a very balanced sound with clarity and detail like no bass amp could ever approach.

There are other powered speakers out there, (Mackie, JBL, etc.) but I'm told that Meyer is in a league by itself. They are the speakers in Symphony Hall and the Berklee Performance Center PA's. I think UPL1 has been replaced by a newer model, but you can still read the specs at Meyer's web site.
  4. I use an SWR Baby Blue (preamp stage only), or just the little Fishman Model B. It has few features, but works fine in most situations. A friend loaned me the new Pro-EQ Platinum Bass preamp. It's also very small and has more features than the Model B. They all sound good, but the SWR is a bit warmer.

At times I've used a Symetrix mike preamp, an Alembic F2B, Kern 777, a Mackie mixer ... The Kern and the Alembic were warm, but too loose.

I'm curious to try a Raven Labs Blender sometime.