1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Powered PA Speaker + Sansamp BDDI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dlargent, Apr 12, 2009.

1. dlargent

dlargent

Aug 7, 2003
    Carrboro, NC
    I play jazz acoustic bass, and electric bass in quiet to moderately rockin' groups.

I've been wanting to get rid of a bunch of gear -- old cabinets which sound bad, and a monstrous PA that I own.

I came up with the idea of buying a powered PA speaker, and using it as a self-contained PA system and bass cabinet (in conjunction with my Sansamp). Important: I don't want to bring a separate amp or mixer, so the speaker should be powered and have at least 2 or 3 inputs.

The Yorkville NX55p has about 500 watts of power, and appears like it would do a cool job. I could hook in a microphone, bass, and guitar for smaller gigs. Or just use it as a bass amp, or for just keyboards and vocals.

Do any of you have any practical experience with that sort of set-up? I should mention I have used Thunderfunk 550B into a EV SX 12" cabinet before with my acoustic bass, and it sounded really cool - but of course that's using a Thunderfunk, so duh.

Also, do any of y'all know a dealership in NYC that carries the Yorkville NX55P? Also, the new Acoustic Image TenTwo or whatever seems to also fit the bill, but I've found AI stuff to be not punchy enough and too quiet in the past.

thanks -Doug

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I wouldn't even consider this, but that's my opinion.

Most PA speakers are not designed to handle the speaker excursion required for bass. While such a cab may work for quiet jazz, it will probably be inadequate for rock. The plastic cab will probably flex and rattle when you feed it solid bass.

Powered speakers weigh more than their unpowered counterparts. Why lug everything at once when you can make two trips with separate head and cab?