powered pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mlove, Jan 30, 2006.

1. mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    ive done some research on the furman spb-8 pedalboard and some of the review are not very good. does anyone know of other manufactures who make this kind of product?
  2. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    I'm going to buy Rockcase, cheap and nice, they have few models,also powered.
  3. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I have an SKB PS-25 that I have been happy with. It powers six pedals and has a soft case that everything fits into. They also have a newer model: the PS-45. This one powers eight pedals and has three AC outlets. It also has a hardshell case. IMO, this is the way to go. They cost around $200.00. Good luck.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It looks to me like the Furman, SKB, and Warwick powered pedalboards use the exact same power strip. The only difference is the carrying case.
  5. Why do they have to cost so much?
  6. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006

you could build your own like our guitarist. He got some one inch (i think) plywood, then took two random pieces of wood we found out back for supports and nailed em near the top, then made a sweet second level. He put a power strip between the two levels and bought 2 AC adapters (he has room for 2 more, too!) then daisy-chained his pedals together. The coolest thing is the way I helped him mount them:

1. Some pedals (ex. his Vox Wah) have little nubbins (we call them nipples) on the bottom...in his wah's case, 4...one in each corner. We used my dremel to create holes that are almost the same size, w/ a little clearance, and about 1 or 2 centimeters deep, then he just puts the pedal on there and the nipples go in. It fits and works like a charm.

2. For his Boss OD-1 and Metal Zone, we put it in an ideal position, then traced the outline with a sharpie. Then we used heavy-duty staples and put them on the outline with maybe a centimeter's space in between each. It creates a new outline, and the pedal fits snugly in. Not a single staple has come out yet since we put them in, and the pedal doesn't budge. I'm not sure, but I think we did the same thing for his tuner.

3. Velcro strips. Apply fuzzy part to the board, rough part to the bottom of the pedal. Works pretty well.

4. We used zipties for a few, too, because we're lazy bums, but we plan to eventually replace those with the nipple/staple/velcro techniques.

We finished it off by making a separate board for his Korg multi-effects because it's just too freaking big, and then screwing on a simple metal handle on each side of the board. That way, if we need to move fast or if he's just lazy, he can keep all his toys on the board and move it from place to place without having to pack them individually.

One more thing...with pedals like the Russian Big Muff that have no AC jack for your daisy chain to power it, you can just mod them a little. We took a 9v battery button-thing(you know, that the two nipples on the battery plug into, then two wires come out?) from two old RC cars I had in my attic and then I desoldered an AC jack from some random toy and soldered it onto the battery button-thing. Then we clicked the battery-buttons on the contraption into place over the Muff's battery buttons (we had to make sure we had the jack on the right way and all...so it would actually work and not ground the power...it's actually reversed.)
    I forget whether or not we had to slow down the amperage to avoid zapping the pedal...I think they had the same basic tolerance (300ma?) but make sure before if you do it. Not too shabby, for doing all my modding work on Xbox's beforehand. Simple, not exactly elegant, but practical.

Here's a small pic...wish it was bigger...

All in all it takes some work, but you can save your 200 smackers to buy more weapons for your arsenal. And if you have a few friends that can paint, you can get em to do whatever you want (union jack, hippie acid trip swirls, etc.) on your pedalboard. How much cooler is that than some black pedalcase with a company logo and a bunch of foam?
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have an SKB and its fine for me.
  8. mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    i have thought about building one but i really want something that comes in a carring case of some kind. i suppose i could build on of those too.

as a side note i counted the word "nipples" 3 times in you reply:bag:
  9. I have recently built my own out of mahogany veneered plywood. It has a lift of lid with flight case style catches and hinges. For power I put a 4 way adapter and a powerbank under the "stage" which the pedals are on and hard wired a kettle lead socket and two quarter inch jacks (bass and amp) onto the right hand side of the base. All the wiring (george L's) and power supplies are underneath the stage.

I am well pleased with this new pedal board and once I have put reinforced edges + corners on it I will be posting pictures.

Building your own is indeed the way forward! :hyper:
  10. mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    sounds sweet! any pics?
  11. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I use the furman board in question and I have had no serious problems with it (the gig bag it comes with, the strap doesnt support the weight of my board without coming unlatched, therefore I use the handle). But it holds everything I need and the power supplys work great I've got 1 more open spot before I use up all 8 of the supplied one's and Im also using the 3 ac outlets it has on the board. But with some diagrams and alot of free time you can fit alot of stuff on that board I've got 10 pedals hooked up currently (all different sizes) and I've got room for another mirco loooper (or splitter in my case) and a effector 13 clean boost.
  12. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    :hyper: nipples are fun :hyper:

But in all seriousness....I wouldn't spend 200 bucks. If you're decent with woodwork, do what stomp did...or have a friend who is good with woodwork help you.

Note that I didn't say 'decent with wood' and thus totally passed up an opportunity for a cheap phallic joke. I shoul get some credit there.
  13. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I went with a store bought pedal board over making my own for size issues. I find the plastic to be very sturdy, but lighter and thinner than making a pedal board out of wood. Plus the built in powerstrip is out of the way so it doesnt get in the way of my pedals. Now the only problem is I've filled it up I got to hook up a second board for my wah and probably some other expression effect (probably non powered this time though).
  14. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I would build one if someone gave me a tutorial or something. But I truly wouldn't know how to make a power supply that would work for every brand of pedal... honest.
  15. Get a power bank or dunlop power brick and a multi way extension chord and you are well away....

Most compacts (boss, ibanez...) will fit directly onto the powerbank with the supplied powere leads (2.5mm) i think.

Anything with weird voltage or mA requirements can be pluggged into the mains via its supplied power adaptor into the extension multi way.

Anything else that has no power jack socket. E.g old ZVEX mammoth can be powered by connecting the battery clip to another battery clip and soldering the same 2.5mm end as previously mentioned on to it. Its hard to describe... :meh:

I will post a little tutorial when i get home from work.

Bottom line is it is not hard! ;)
  16. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've got a Furman SPB-8 and the biggest drawback is the bag. Doesn't really protect it from anything but dirt and the strap is useless. The router is handy, but, it is a little confusing when tracking down trouble in a complex setup. And they could stand to take $100 off the price.
  17. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    Yeah, most of the pedals our guitarist has are powered by 9v 300mA....so we daisy-chained those onto a Boss PTA-120 or whatever the frik number that boss slapped on there.

But that's what the powerstrip we mounted is for. It can fit 3 or 4 adapters if you squeeze em right, so you can get different adapters for different pedals, ya know? And still, a 500mA or whatever can still function on 300mA of current. 800 or 1000, probably not. But if you have that many pedals, you'll probably need another board...which means another power strip. problem solved more or less...for much cheaper than a powered pedalboard.
  18. mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    HURRY UP !!! :D
  19. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    But seriously mlove, which one do you think you're gonna pick? I guess it should depend on how many effects you have, what kind of power they use...I just think that 200 bucks could be spent a lot more wisely than that. I'd buy 200 dollars worth of dr pepper, or a wife :)
  20. mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    right now i think i wil try and build my own. for effects, i only have 2 right now but plans for 5 more (2 on the way). all but i of them are 9 volt the only one that isnt is EHX engligh muffin 12 volt.