Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Powered Speakers for my Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iriegnome, Feb 2, 2005.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I currently play about 6 to 10 shows a year acousticly. I am looking for a powered speaker to run direct from my Line 6 Bass Pod. Does any one have any suggestions? I play Grateful Dead style music and I need this for personal amping onstage only. I do not carry my full SWR rig, just small and light. I am currently using a JBL G2-1500, but it sounds like crap. :help:

2. i don't know any of any powered bass cabs.. but i suggest getting a power amp and maybe a 1x12 cab of some kind, i think that would be fine for your purposes

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Do you mean like a combo amp? Theres so many choices for combo that you should just keep trying them out until you find one you like.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

How much dough do you feel like throwing at this? If you're flush, I'd consider the powered EA Wizzy: http://www.euphonicaudio.com/2005/products/wz112p.htm

Otherwise, I'd consider all the usual powered PA speaker suspects besides the JBLs: Mackie 450 and 350, Beyma, Paudio, FBT, etc. I'd expect the the EA to smoke all of those for bass, but YMMV.

I sometimes play jazz and other stuff where I'm backing unamplified acoustic instruments on EUB, and I've settled on an iAmp and a CXL-112 for that situation.

5. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Preamp'd and EQ'd correctly, the Mackie 450's are awesome, especially if it's just for personal monitoring. I used to drive a couple of 'em with an Avalon U5.

BUT... and this is like a "J-Lo" but (pun intended)... :D

...if you're on a loud stage, and if your amp is part of the "beef" of the overall presentation of the bass sound (PA and all)... or if you simply have to "feel" the bottom from your bass, then add one of Mackie's subs to the 450.

That'll be a rig that can take care of most situations. :bassist:

Just remember that most (if not all) of the tonal coloration will have to be supplied by your rig's other components, because the speakers will just be cleanly reproducing what goes in 'em.

6. sricabla

sricabla

Jul 4, 2003
    San Francisco
    Have you checked into Meyer cabinets?
    UPA-1P
    USW-1P

7. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

I have the JBL G2 and the Mackie SR450's...

the Meyer cabs are the clear choice...but you'd better have deep pockets.:)

8. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I gues I was a little confusing when I posted this.
    I am looking for a "PA" type speaker to mainly run my bass through. That is why I am using the JBL G2, but it kind of sucks ass. :spit: Mainly I am looking for a Bass Combo amp that has a Mic Pre-amp built in, so I have the capability to sing out of it as well. :eyebrow:

9. Acoustic image might make something like that.

i would think the little carvin amp they sell for acoustic guitarist would fit that bill. It is green in the catelogue. You could run a line level from your POD into the "return" jack on the effects loop. When you sing, it has a balanced XLR for vocals and you can mix. It is full range so bass should not be a prob.

Fender makes powered monitors with mic inputs and a mixer. I think carvin does too. This might be the way to go since you don't seem to require a fancy preamp.

10. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    A Meyer Sound USM-1P would be perfect for what you are trying to do.It is a powered 1x15 w/horn monitor.I use mine on gigs where I don't need my full blown Meyer rig. I use it with a Millennia TD-1.It sounds great,and is very portable.

11. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Do you have a link for Meyer? :help:

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    If you need the link - you can't afford it :D

Mike

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If I were you, I'd rather not go there... unless you have a couple of thousands to spend ;)

14. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    :rolleyes: :rollno: :D :D

15. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
  16. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    The Meyer USM-1P does not have a XLR input or mixing capabilities for a mic and bass input. Won't work for even twice the price :bawl:

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you really want to use something for bass and vocal i'd look into getting a small mixer (liek a 4 channel unit). i cant think of anything bass amp wise that will take a low impedance XLR input and a high impedance 1/$ input an allow you have control over the volume and tone of each independantly. maybe something like a fishman bass blender would do it. another option is to get a small powered mixer like a mackie, run into a direct box from your bass into it on one channel and a mic from another and just use a standard non powered pa speaker.

18. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    See this is my dilema. TOO MUCH EQUIPMENT FOR LITTLE Acoustic gigs. That is why I went to the Bass Pod and a Powered speaker with both line and mic inputs. But like I said before the JBL doesn't cut it for bass sound.

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

20. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Just spoke with Larry over at EA. The Wizzy will not work. It only has 200w. It only has 1 XLR input. I would have to use a Direct box and carry a mixer with me. I appriciate the effort. :)