1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Powered Studio Monitors

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Honk'n_down-low, Apr 18, 2010.

1. I hate posts like this - but I would love to hear some opinions on decent quality Powered Studio Monitors. I have looked at the Yamaha HSM50's and the newer JBL's - would like to stay under $400.

Recommendations, models I should avoid?

Thanks in advance.

2. Anyone?

3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I used Tannoy Reveal Actives several years back and they were fantastic.

4. Under $400?

It's gotta be the KRK Rockit 5s. Best budget monitors I've ever heard. I recommend them :)

5. mixalot

mixalot

Jun 24, 2007
    New Orleans
    I just got a pair of the Yamaha HS50M's last week and they are fantastic. I got them from Sweetwater and they were 4 hundy. Worth every penny.

6. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    + 1 for the KRK rokits, I believe you should be able to find the 6" model too for that money. The 6" has a bit more low end, with the emphasis on the word bit. The rokits do have an ever so slight scoop on the mids though and I find them to be a bit flattering, but for the price range they're pretty good.

For me, mackie would be second close in that price range.

The yamaha budget 5's have their fans, but in all honesty I found them quite horrible; very harsh and they have pretty much no low end. The good thing about them is that they definately aren't flattering and they're very detailed in mids and highs for the money. With a monitor grade sub they can work, but without one it will be very difficult to determine the amount of bass used. Especially if you later on pop the mix into a large club type of PA, you might be dealing bleeding ears and heart palpitations with the bass boom because overcompensating for the lack of bass.

I don't know about the prices in US, but you should definately check the used market for Adam A7's.

7. Thanks for the feedback - I was looking at the Adams - but read they had cheap woofers FWIW - hard to tell some of this stuff is very subjective.

8. Danimal00

Danimal00 Dealer: Sweetwater

Feb 28, 2006
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sound Senior Sales Engineer
    Yes, much of this is very subjective. Also, don't forget your room. You could get the most accurate or musical speakers in the world, but your room will change how you perceive them. Unless you have a room designed properly by an acoustician, it will color the sound and although the speakers will not change, the acoustics of the room will make them sound quite a bit different than what is actually coming out of the monitors.

Dan

9. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yup. The room is very, very important. I only have quite modest treatment: bass traps and and some diffusors (rental apartment..) and even they made a world of difference. I struggled and wondered how my kick and bass are always so muddy even if I tried everything I had in my small bag of tricks. Then, I built the bass traps and woah, the low end definition was from a completely differend planet in my listening position which isn't optimal to begin with due to room layout that can't be changed.

And the cheap woofers on adams.. they might be cheap, I honestly don't know. But what I do know is that in well treated room, they gave a pretty good challenge to a pair of genelecs that cost three times as much. The genelecs were more detailed and accurate, but not by much and the adams were actually easier to listen to.

But like a wise person once said. One doesn't actually need super great monitors (even though they do help) to create good mixes, most of it is in fact about knowing the monitors one has. Their weaknesses and strong points and how they translate.

10. seismicaudio

seismicaudio

Dec 3, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Tech Support, Seismic Audio Speakers
    I used the KRK rockit 5's for years and after getting on the HS50's, I would highly recommend the yamaha's.

11. ctothej

ctothej

Jan 20, 2010
    Rapid City, SD
    Alesis M1 Active MK2....I love these things. Had em for 3-4 years now. Pretty flat response, they are actually a little heavy on the bass (which i like, and depending on room placement) but you can plug the ports to tone that down. I'd rather play my bass through these in my studio room than out of most other amps and cabs out there. You will probably hear some of the faults of your technique your amp might have been covering up for you....definately learned to improve my muting techniques after picking these up.

12. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    That's pretty interesting. Were the rokits gen 1 or 2? I know the 1's were pretty unimpressive..

13. For under $400, take a listen to the Behringer Truth series of powered studio monitors. I have a 2031A (8") and it does its job well.

The best way to test them is by listening. Use a mix CD with songs that you know very well and try them all out.

14. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I bought these this weekend based off price and feedback in this thread. So far I'm very happy with the way they sound. They can get pretty loud as well. This is my first pair of monitors so YMMV.

15. Play a little bass through them! With a good preamp, mmm.

Mine are a little hissy from one tweeter but after 3+ years of constant use they are still holding up and sounding great.
    Glad you're happy with them, they really sound great for everything!

16. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Why do they have to be active?

Ebay a pair of NHT Super One's (or Paradigm Mini Mark III's, if you can find them), and pretty much anything 120-200w/side from Hafler, and you'll be out $250 and have the best sounding, most natural speakers I've heard under about $800. I certainly like them better than the Mackie HR824's, and they sat for several years in front of my old Quested VS3208's and weren't put to shame. Extremely underrated.