1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Powerful 1x12, 300 Watt, Basslite, Deltalite, Kappalite, Faital, Beyma? - please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralferator, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Ralferator

Ralferator

Feb 18, 2020
    Hi,
    i need some help building a 1x12 bass cabinet, that i want to use stand alone with my Peavey Minimax 500 amp. The amp has 300 Watt at 8 Ohm. (Since i don't play on big stages i think 1x12 should be good enough and the bigger places usually have a PA.)

I moved to brasil and here bass cabinets are unbelievably expensive. So i want to build my own, buying the speaker in Germany and taking it in my bag to brasil, when i next come to visit germany.

I am thinking about about 50 liters cabinet, but it would be ok up to about 70 liters.

I read a lot about it allready and people mainly recommend Eminence mainly. The Basslite S2012 seems nice but has only 150 Watt power handling but only 125 Watt power handling with the low frequencies in a cabinet (says the Eminence Cabinet designer). So i was looking at the Deltalite 2512, which has more power handling but seems like it has just the same as the Basslite in a cabinet. Then there is the Kappalite 3012ho which seems nice, needs to lows to be boosted at the amp a bit, but then could work nicely maybe even stand alone, because of the bigger power handling?

What about the Faital Pro 12PR300? Does it compete with the Kappalite for power handling and only has less rising response in the mids?

What about Beyma, RCF or Oberton? Which one would you choose and in how many liters cabinet?

So what is your recommendations? Or should i rather go 1x15 and use the Faital Pro 15PR400 in 70 liters? Or 2 Basslite S2012 in 70 liters?

I think it would be wise to choose a 8 Ohm speaker, or should i go 4 Ohm to get the full 500 Watt?

I hope some experts can help me choose.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!
    Ralf

P.S.: i am also thinking about getting a cheap used 1x12 cabinet in brasil and change the speaker. Is there any reasons i should not do it? If i know the volume of the cabinet i just need to change the bass reflex port to the right diameter and length, right? Or is there anything else i have to worry about?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul SUSPENDED

A driver has to be matched to the enclosure it's housed in. Just buying some arbitrary driver to slap into an existing box is not the way to success unless you're very lucky.

DJ Bebop, Garret Graves and revroy like this.
  3. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I would go for a 1x15 if you can fit it in your luggage. 8 ohms so you can add more cabs later if needed. 15PR400 or Kappalite 3015 in 70 liters will work. 3012HO is a great overall choice for a 1x12".

Other brands have good drivers too but often don't have the best value to performance ratio for bass use.

4. Ralferator

Ralferator

Feb 18, 2020
    I have been building speakers for home use and as from what i know is, that it's most important that the volume of the enclosure fits and then the bass reflex port has to have the right diameter and length. I would choose a cabinet that has the right volume and i can build in a bass reflex port with the right diameter and length. What else parameters have to fit?

dkelley likes this.
  5. Ralferator

Ralferator

Feb 18, 2020
    Thank you for your tip - to what frequency would you tune the enclosure for the Kappalite and the Faital?

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul SUSPENDED

Forgive my ignorance! I forgot to welcome you to Talk Bass. :)

Whatever driver you decide on like as not the manufacturer will have plans for a suitable enclosure on their website. I'd look there. :)

dkelley likes this.
  7. Ralferator

Ralferator

Feb 18, 2020
    Thank you!
    I saw that Eminence has cabinet designs online. For Faital i didn't find any.

8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Unless you understand cabinet design, you might be better off using well-proven plans with their recommended drivers. Eminence offers cabinet design suggestions: all the other manufactures you listed don't.

Bill Fitzmaurice sells plans that have been used for many years. They are complete and affordable. You can ask in the forum if other makes and models are appropriate.
    The BFM Simplexx will accommodate both the Deltalite 2512 and Kappalite 3012HO.
    Simplexx

The BFM Jack 12 is a bit more involved but will also function well with the above Eminence models.
    Jack

Moving up the food chain a bit is the Greenboy fEarful 112, a 2- or 3-way design that many swear by. It uses the Eminence Kappalite 3012LF.
    fEARful™ enclosures for bass/drums/keys

@Arjank has had very good success with Oberton, but since they don't have distribution in the US not many of us on TB can comment further on them.
    All the other manufacturers are well reputed but more expensive here in the US. Do a search here on TB for DIY 112, as I'm certain there's a bunch of good info.
    Another DIY cab thread. Loud, Small, and Cheap. 22 pounds that pounds.

Good luck and welcome to TB!

Arjank likes this.
  9. Ralferator

Ralferator

Feb 18, 2020

Thank you for your tipps! The simplex looks interesting.

I still don't understand what other parameters matter to cabinet design than, a stable cabinet, the right volume of the cabinet and bass reflex tuning. What other parameters are important?

10. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Around 50hz.

Basically a copy of this cab.
    Mesa Subway 1x15 Ultra-Lite Bass Cabinet | MESA/Boogie®

After reading your post again I think a 4 ohm 15PR400 would match nicely with your amp and have plenty of spl for any small stage.

11. Ralferator

Ralferator

Feb 18, 2020

Ah cool! - do they use the Faital or the Kappalite for the Mesa cabinet?

12. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    They use the Faital for the 1x15 and the Kappalite HO for the 1x12.

Oberton makes some of the best drivers anywhere but for the power you have available I think a 4 ohm 15PR400 will offer the most output from your amp in a small portable package.

13. Ralferator

Ralferator

Feb 18, 2020
    So as far as i see it, the Faital Pro 15PR400 in 70l or the Eminence Kappalite 3012HO in about 50l seem to be nice. I was just wondering if there are any good recommendations for a 2x10. Could a 2x10 with S2010 Basslites in 70l compete with the Faital? Would anybody recommend a 2x10 over the 1x12 or 1x15 and if yes, which speakers to use?

14. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Look in to B&Cs also. They make some pretty great drivers. 12 MH 32 is a monster.
    B&C Speakers

15. Ralferator

Ralferator

Feb 18, 2020

Thank you - but i forgot to mention, that it should be a neodynium speaker, because i have to put it in my luggage and it can't be too heavy.

16. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    A 1x15 has greater surface area than 2x10's but according to Mesa their 2x10 using two Faital 10PR300's make very similar spl.

Can you fit two S2012's in your luggage? They only weigh 4.1lbs each and you have the option of making two cabs or a super light and skinny 2x12 that will outperform a 1x15 with your amp. I have used these and they are good drivers. I have pushed them hard with large amps without failure.

17. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    They have Neos also.

18. Ralferator

Ralferator

Feb 18, 2020

Thanks - i will take a look - do you have experience with any of the neo ones?

19. Ralferator

Ralferator

Feb 18, 2020

I might be able to fit two of them in, but it would be easier to just get one in the luggage. But don't the S2012 need more volume than 35 liters each? Would they still perform better than the 15 in about 70 liters? Or is it hard to compare, because the 2x12 would be louder but not go as deep?

20. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    They also do coaxials,
    B&C Speakers

I have 10" Neos in a dual 10 cabinet, they were 16 ohm, wired for 8 ohm cab. They are a 10HPL64. but they don't show 16 ohm models available. That cab was bass reflex that I built. It smokes.

I also have a Schroeder 12PL cab that smokes, and it has a 12" B&C Neo in it. I think a special design for Jorg Schroeder. So I have no idea of model.