1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Powerful 2 channel micro with discreet EQ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobicidal, Jul 3, 2014.

1. bobicidal

bobicidal

Mar 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    In love with the idea of a micro with two channels, ala GK MB(F)800 but EQ is never right for both channels when you are trying to have one channel clean-ish and another with mild OD and quickly switch between the two.

Fitting four EQ knobs for each channel would be challenging in a micro so maybe a programmable head would be the solution.

Needs to put out around 400 at 8 ohms and around 700 at 4 ohms, similar to the GK heads mentioned above.

Any ideas for me?

Until then my fake "B channel" is via Aguilar ToneHammer pedal.

Thanks

2. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    It's not a "micro" (even though it only weighs about 10 lbs.) and you'd need to find a used one, but the Genz Shuttlemax 9.2 meets all your other requirements.

noahw1, bobicidal and blindrabbit like this.
  3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I think the ShuttleMAX is closer to 6lbs. It's definitely a great option, I love mine.

noahw1, blindrabbit and bobicidal like this.
  4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Shuttlemax is the only such "micro" (not micro, but small and class D) I've got experience with. I think Acoustic Image and Walter Woods (pricey!) have heads that fill those requirements. Euphonic Audio makes a few. The Phil Jones D-600. That's all I've got!

EDIT: Just re-read your post -- I missed the wattage-wants the first time. I think they preclude the Phil Jones head and the smaller EA heads, though EA does make one (iAmp pro) in roughly Shuttlemax size that should fit the bill... I don't see any of those heads (aside from the Shuttlemax) getting "dirty" without a pedal -- at least that's my impression, based on playing (the Shuttlemax), hearing (the EA and AI) and reading (about the WW and the PJ). (Impressions in order of decreasing reliability.) They should all cover the two channels of discrete EQ, though.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    bobicidal likes this.
  5. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Yeah, ShuttleMax 9.2. I bought mine last October when there were only like 5 brand new units left in the world. Have to buy used if you can find them. What a shame, such a great amp.

Love it.

bobicidal and blindrabbit like this.
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    WW amps certainly fit all the bullet points but you will probably need to run some sort of overdrive in the effects loop of one channel for your distortion.

Here's mine (still potentially for sale).

WW-Amp-In-Rack-Oa-1200-01.

7. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    So, discrete then and not subtle as in discreet?

8. bobicidal

bobicidal

Mar 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Serious typo. Never wrote it like that before. Too tired

9. bobicidal

bobicidal

Mar 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Wish I could get a Peavey IPR2 DSP in the size of a MB800 ;)

10. bobicidal

bobicidal

Mar 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Pretty much going to give up on this. I think it is best to use a pedal or two for the channel switching options I want

blindrabbit likes this.
  11. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Anticlimactic but understandable. What are you playing through now, the GK MB800 you mentioned earlier?

12. bobicidal

bobicidal

Mar 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    I have the MB800 and MBF800.

I like the Fusion tone a little bit more than the Fusion.

Amps I have owned recently are in my profile, and now co pied here

Mesa Boogie 400+, Ampeg PF-350, Mesa Walkabout, Mesa Carbine M9, GK MB200, Ampeg Micro VR, Genz-Benz GBE 600, Aguilar TH350, Aguilar TH500, GK MB800, GK MBF800

13. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    But do you like the Fusion tone?

14. bobicidal

bobicidal

Mar 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    A little more yes. LOL. Meant to say I liked it more than the non-fusion :)