Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Powerful lightweight cheap head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexclaber, Feb 12, 2003.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yes I know, that's the holy grail, but what I'm looking for is a small head that I can use with one of my Acme B2 cabs for smaller gigs (ie. ones where I can't be bothered to lug two cabs and a heavy rack).

I was orginally looking to get a GKMB150S but they're really quite expensive even secondhand, so this is an alternative cheaper route which should give me better tone (though slightly less portability).

Or do y'all think that because I'll need quite a lot of power (and hence weight/cost) to drive the Acme hard enough, I might as well just go for the GK?

Alex

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    How many watts? There's the Ampeg PortaBass 250, and the PortaBass 800 is coming. Both are quite small.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I think 250W is a bit on the low side for a B2 - 800W would be perfect but at what price?

Cheers,

Alex

4. The GK is a cool little amp but way underpowered for the B2. It is a highly inefficient cab. Some guy is selling an SWR wkgman 300 in the classified section that might do it if you're not playing big or loud gigs. But most people say 400W is about minimum. Try the 4004, or if you keep an eye out you might find a good deal on something like an Eden WT400 - I got one once for $400, or an 800rb might work, or a peavey - lots of bang for the buck (oops did I say the "P" word?) or even a Carvin R600 - they can be bridged to give 600 watts I think and they go for about 300 used.

Just some ideas. Try some stuff out.

cheers

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't know if they've set a price for the PB800 - it's due out soon. I've heard rumors of a retail around US$900.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Alex, you sound like a man with a need for a Walter Woods!

7. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Euphonic Audio?

how about an Eden Traveler? 400 or so watts..