Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Powerhouse 1000 or 2 410XLTs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I am looking for maximum punch and thick-heavy clear low end.
    Kinda like an SVT sound, but thicker.I do not want a muddy undifined sound.

I already have a 4-10XLT and could easly add another. Another bass guy is trading in his XLTs for guess what? A Powerhouse 1000.

I will be running it/them wth the Mesa 400+ .

I'll be able to audition one and A/B them next week, but need some heads up first.

Cost wise, it should be pretty close.
    Thanks, Bob

2. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i have a 400+ and powerhouse 1000 cab and love it, the combo sounds great. it's very very fully and very thick but i don't think you'll find it as punchy as 8x10's. from my understanding the speakers in my cab are those used in most eden cabs (pas and ev). i haven't really gotten to hear an eden cab up close let alone compare it but the powerhouse 1000 cab is a very nice cabinet and sounds great with the 400+.

3. is the powerhouse road ready or the vinyl covered one? because they sound different,...both sound great,but different. the RR is very tight-n-punchy...both are"full and thick"..personally I prefer the RR cabs...if you can deal with the weight,because they are heavy.....but why don't you get a 1x15 to add to your rig,bassicaly the same speaker config.,but easier to transport...and the 15 will move some air...very thick and full...I will say this, whatever way you go will sound slammin' being pushed by a 400+...good luck

4. Rockbobmel

I can only find one P-1000 around here. I would love to try the RR version. That's what I want. Thick and punchy.

5. they're not as rare as you think,you could always order one from your local Boogie dealer.I see them used on many occasaions but the problem is I don't have the money when I need it..what I don't see around much is the powerhouse jr.(1x12 & 4x8's).that one has been discontinued :( I would love to get my hands on one of those..had an opp. 3 or 4 yrs. ago on a brand new rd.rdy. version and once again the timing.........ah well, maybe another time:rolleyes:

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

...thank you for playing, but that is the wrong answer!

;)

Eden does not use PAS or EV speakers. They build their own drivers in-house.

My experience with the Mesa cabs was less than impressive. They sounded "ok", but they really "breathe" a lot on low notes (air rushing in and out of the cabinet loudly, enough for me to hear it at a moderate volume).

Don't like "noisy" cabs, no sir I don't.

Bobby, I'd get the XLT. :D

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I agree with Gard. I think much of the love affair with the Mesa cabs are from their visiual appeal, certainly not from the audible realities.

To each his own, but I think you'd be MUCH better off with another Eden cab.

8. Rockbobmel

I was using a 4-10 & 210xlt, and it worked very good. I was looking for more girth so I got a Peavey 115BX BW. This works even better. So, I am thinking that what I'm using now is the equal to the Powerhouse 1000. Of course, I can't A/B them.
    I'm gettig an 8-10 SVT type sound wth more bottom.

I went to the back of the room,and it sounded good, but I could use more bottom, but adding more EQ would make the stage bass too boomy.

When they call it psycho-acoustics, that's very accurate. It makes me psycho!!

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Boomy...hmm...

...try pairing your 410 XLT with a 410 XST, more clarity and better lows. Trade off: More cost and slightly less sensitive (less volume for the power put in). Put the XST on top of the XLT, and you'll hear yourself better onstage. You could also do a 210XST, if you wanted to keep it small.

For the record, every 15" I've played through couldn't keep up with the lows of the 2 & 4 10" cabs, so if it's lows you're lookin' for, dump the 15". Just adds "mush" to my ears, without any compensating good low end.

10. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i got cleared up on the speaker thing. before mesa used ev and pas speakers they were supplied their speakers by eden

11. Rockbobmel

Would you try something for me?

Or anyone else that can do this.

If you can, try a 4-10XLT with a Peavey 1-15BX. It is a much bigger box than most 15s. Prolly the same internal vol. as the 4-10.

I am quite suprised at the punch and clarity of this cab.

I would like to get others input on these. I can still return it for 30 days.

BTW, Gard, would you put the 2-10XST on top of the 4-10XLT as well? The 2-10XLT o the 4-10XLT works well. Thanks,Bob

12. Rockbobmel

I forgot to ask......Does the 210XST come in 8 ohms?

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you don't mind wrestling the beast, the Powerhouse 1000 will blow away any Eden cabs with your 400+. Preferably, go somewhere where you can A/B them and you'll instantly see what I mean, especially given your stated sonic goals.

BTW, I don't work for a dealer who handles Mesa and not Eden. In fact, I don't work for a dealer at all.

14. Rockbobmel

I read so much back and forth about it . And you know everything is so objective. One man's gut wrenching lows are another man's muddiness. I think GC has a financing plan, plus a 30 day return. Maybe I can just try it in the real world.

15. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    I also own a Mesa 400+, and have owned a Diesel Powerhouse 1000, a few bits of Eden gear, an SVT 810E, and my current Mesa Road Ready 4x10 and 1x18.

Between them all, my favorite was the SVT, with the Powerhouse 1000 a close second place. It come down to, for me at least, the amount of bass you wish to hear on stage. The 4x10 + 1x18 combo has great bass, but I find it to be overkill for me.

To be honest, I am seriously considering selling the Road Ready 4x10 and 1x18, and getting another 8x10. Despite its size, the 8x10 is easier to move than many large cabinets. The wheels are great, you never really have to pick it up, unless stairs are involved. It also has plastic rails that allow you to slide it along on its back.

The Ampeg 8x10 also breaks up nicely. What it lacks in frequency response, it makes up in sheer balls.

16. Rockbobmel

You mean the AMPEG only 8-10? Or does two 4-10s qualify? Only the Ampeg is a sealed box. I'm done with my 71 SVT head. That's why I went for the Mesa 400+.

17. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    it is all a matter of opinion, but, for my two cents my powerhouse 1000 will blow the balls off of an 8x10 (not to say they're bad cabs, i almost traded for one, that's just how it sounds to me)

18. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Bobby, if you are interested in buying a couple Eden 410XLTs, I have two for sale. Never been abused, although one cab needs all the speakers reconed (See the 'driver destruction' thread - I tune to B sometimes, and that's what did it).
    I have used these cabs in the past with my 400+ (that is now slacker's) and they worked great together. I'd cut you a great deal if you want them both!

Also, are you selling your '71 SVT? Why man, why?!?

19. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    Just A/B them-

Everybody that has Eden thinks Mesa is unimpressive(If they liked Mesa stuff better, they probably would own it instead of Eden, right?).

Nearly everybody that has Mesa and has gigged it is impressed. I own mesa, and find it quite impressive.

I A/B'd them. Mesa sounded better to me.

I run my Powerhouse 1000 with a PLX1602, and Sansamp RBI. I have never ever even come close to running out of headroom, and never come close to lacking tone. Soundguys like the rig. The audiences like the rig. Other musicians have complemented me on choosing the rig. Can't be that unimpressive.

You could end up liking the Eden better- stranger things have happened.

20. Rockbobmel

An Eden Nav.pre/WT1000power amp
    A 4-10XLT, 2-10XLT and just sold a 1-18XL.