powering 2 different cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dadodetres, Dec 19, 2004.

1. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    hi all! im new here! but im not gonna do an introduction,

the point is im getting a new amp (i have a swr WM15 wich sucks)

i live in uruguay, so my options are limited. im buying a SWR goliath JR 2x10 cab and a yamaha 1x18 cab.

im probably getting a SWR grand prix pre amp, so ill need a power amp to move the cabs. what is the wattage ill be needing to move those cabs? and also, since there is a big difference between the cabs, will i need a crossover????

thancks all in advance
  2. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004

is the grand prix a good buy? how is it compeared to the pres in the 350x and 750x? and how is it compeard to the WM pre`s?

is it a good idea to have a 2x10 and a 1x18? or is it too much difference? pephaps ill need a 4x10 to go 1x18 or a 1x15 with a 2x10......
  3. Something you'll need to keep in mind is the sensitivity differences between the two cabs. I've talked to people here that are running 2x10+1x15 or 4x10 + 1x15 cabs together off the same amp head, and they are happy with their results.
    I'm sure it would always be better to biamp in this situation, because you could then adjust the output of each cab so that one wouldn't be over-powering the other, etc..
    If you're going with a pre-amp+poweramp setup, biamping would be easy. Some biamp heads have crossovers for adjusting the different cabs, like the Hartke 7000, etc..

Best bet is to try before you decide, and this doesn't just mean connecting the cabs and testing at low volumes. You need to turn up the volume, experiment with the eq, stand back from the stack and really listen to it.

Hopes this helps a bit..

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you like the "swr sound" you won't be dissapointed with the grand prix. it definitely sounds better than the workingman's series, and sounds at least as good if not better than the 350x and 750x.