Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

powering a combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kroy, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Could I run a power amp or an amp head into my combo and use the combo speaker as a "cabinet" of sorts? There's a "power amp in" jack which made me consider this. Am I out to lunch or could this work?

relavent specs:
    I own a Fender BXR-100. It's a 100 watt amp with a 15" speaker in it. I can't find any other specs than on this page (Fender has no info. on it, I'm guessing it's a discontinued line). The amp head I was thinking of buying is the GK Backline 600, which is a 300watt amp @ 4ohms.

I'm kindof an Amp newb so bear with me. I've read through a ton of the FAQs here about amps and all things amp-related and haven't seen anything regarding this kind of set up yet. I've seen people meantioning using combos as a pre-amp (my BXR also has a "Preamp Out" jack) but not going this route. That may be because what I have in mind is not possible.

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Power amp in is more like the input jack on a poweramp than an invite to blow your amp to smithereens by hooking up a power amp into a power amp.

You could cut the speaker wires on the inside of the cabinet, hook it up to a jack, and then do the same thing to the head portion of the combo. Then, you could use just the head, just the cab, or the whole deal.

Obviously, that isn't very practical. You should probably start looking for a used speaker cab to go with that GK head you want. It'll sound much, much better. :)

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Kroy-don't do it. You'll destroy the Fender amp. You could disconnect the speaker and connect the Backline to it but that speaker probably won't handle the power the Backline is capable ofand you might blow it.

Better to look for a good used speaker cabinet.

4. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Well I wasn't about to take the "hook-it-up-and-see-what-happens" approach, but thanks for the warnings. I'll definitely go out of my way to not destroy my combo amp.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I found a link to the owners manual here: http://media.musicalplanet.com/pdf/FEN004.PDF

and like the other guys said the power amp in is for preamp level signal to go into THE INTERNAL AMP. From the owners manual "POWER AMP IN jack - This unbalanced input goes directly into the power amp. It automatically disconnects the preamp when used. This jack is useful when using the effects loop feature, or when using the BXR 100 as a slave amp."

and looking at the schematic the "line out" is post poweramp, so it is essentially a "speaker extention output".

IF IF IF the amp had a chord plugging into the output of the amp, like some ampeg combos (b328), you could plug that cord into another amp.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I owned a bxr-60 for my first amp and the one good thing I can say about the bxr line is IT IS LOUD!!! a bass player in my old roomates band had a bxr-300 or was it the 100?

7. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Yeah, I've always just used it as a practice amp so I've never really had a chance to crank it completely and see how it does. From some of the reviews I've seen around online, the concensus seems to be that it's hella-loud for 100 watts. Like gigable loud. I'm going to jam with a drummer this weekend I guess that'll be it's first real test.

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I use a ABM head in to my Ashdown MAG 307 C-115 combo.
    I just connect the output from the ABM to the speaker, totaly bypassing the combo's amp.
    works fine as the 2 amps are rated the same

Dave.