1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Powering a G50

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I just received my Line 6 G50 and I was wondering if you can power these with a One Spot or if you have to use the power supply that came with it?

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I power my g30 with a 1spot. It works just fine. I havent had any issues at all.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I wonder if the same is true of the G50?

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I also have about 5 or 6 other pedals in my chain. So I guess I would like to hear from guys who run the G50 AND the rest of their pedals with the One Spot.

Anyone?

5. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    1Spot should cover it and 5-6 pedals, depending on what other pedals are.

6. I run 10 pedals, including my G50 AND preamp with a 1Spot.

I've never seen anyone max one out. 1.7amps is A LOT of pedals.

That's 340 Boss DS1s.

According to the information I've found the G50 draws 350mA so you can run 4 receivers on a single 1Spot and have room for other pedals.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Cool. Thanks guys.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I was worried I would need an isolated power supply with the Line 6. I don't want the extra wall wart crowding up my board. lol

9. You don't need an isolated power supply except in a couple of situations.

1) A pedal with poor power filtering. When you daisy chain pedals they become electrically connected. If the power isn't filtered internally a pedal can cause noise when chained with other pedals. Examples: Older EH Holy grails will have a high pitched digital whine. Line 6 ToneCore pedals with have a lot of hiss that gets worse as you add other ToneCores.

2) Any pedal that includes Germanium transistors. These were common in vintage fuzz pedals but have been used in new vintage like fuzzs and some boost pedals. The reason is that these transistors have to opposite polarity of silicon transistors. When you try to daisy chain a Germanium pedal with a silicon pedal you create what the 1Spot sees as a short. This causes the 1Spot to safety shut off and you'll see the pedals pulse on and off. This will not damage the pedals or the 1Spot.

Note: This polarity issue has NOTHING to do with the DC jack. Also you CAN daisy chain multiple Germanium pedals with the 1Spot.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    All of my pedals are fairly modern and I notice no funky crap with the One Spot now, so I should be okay huh?

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it's all about the milliamps!

as long as all the pedals together draw less total than the one spot can put out, you should be good.

12. Modern pedals are generally fine. Power filtering is easy and common, but as in the ToneCore case there are rare exceptions.

You'll be fine. The cool thing about the 1Spot is that it's got a ton of fault protection built in so it's nearly impossible to hurt it, a pedal or yourself with it.

About what Walter said, assuming that the pedal runs on a 9volt battery, it's all about the mAs but as I said in a previous post I've never seen anyone max out a 1Spot. If you do you've crossed the line between playing and dancing. I.E. you have a damn lot of pedals.

But lets say that you did actually max it. It's protected against this also, it will simply shut off. Unplug some pedals and as soon as the load drops below 1700mAs it will turn on.

Bob's really over engineered it so that you have to have really abuse it (and modify it) to cause damage to a pedal.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    No problems powering the unit with the One Spot. Sounds as good as my cable.

14. kweej

kweej

Nov 30, 2012
    I use a One Spot to power a Boss EQ pedal and the G50.